The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU options and info

mellonman

That great dude! I'm definitely looking into this.. Thanks bud!

It's a great bit of kit, can do pretty much anything that more expensive ecu's can do for less than quarter of the price. If you need a hand / have any questions just drop me a PM, I've fitted loads of them now.

Ben

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a trusted mapper and go with whatever ecu he advises is my advice, not many people i would trust with my car.

Ryan and a syvecs is my number 1 choice, if he was not about id go Dave rowe and motec, next in line would be Dan turner and an AEM.

JP, I know Ryan and Syvecs is the only true way to go but dude that is out of my budget.. I recently spent nearly £3k on the motor so just dont have the cash at the moment but really want to get rid of the piggy back f/ic I have. I'm sure any of the mentioned standalone ecus are better than the crap I have.. I will later look at a Syvecs but something cheaper will have to do for now..

JP, I know Ryan and Syvecs is the only true way to go but dude that is out of my budget.. I recently spent nearly £3k on the motor so just dont have the cash at the moment but really want to get rid of the piggy back f/ic I have. I'm sure any of the mentioned standalone ecus are better than the crap I have.. I will later look at a Syvecs but something cheaper will have to do for now..

I would still try and get an ecu that Ryan will map, on a budget you can still pick up decent stand alone ecu's secondhand such as a f-con, AEM or PFC.

Id hate to read you had to spend another 3k rebuilding the engine again because of a poor mapper or ecu.

IMO, save up and do it right, once.

I would still try and get an ecu that Ryan will map, on a budget you can still pick up decent stand alone ecu's secondhand such as a f-con, AEM or PFC.

Id hate to read you had to spend another 3k rebuilding the engine again because of a poor mapper or ecu.

IMO, save up and do it right, once.

Baby on the way so save will be a bit hard in a few months... But yes I will speak to Ryan and see what options I have.. You don't have a Syvecs and a few sensors lying around doing nothing do you JP? ;)

Got her in September already single so had planned for a decent ecu but unfortunately she did a bigend on the dyno trying to sorting the FIC.. Spanner in my program if you understand.. Then her coilover went so had to do the shocks... My hand was forced in this matter mate now I just want to get the basic ecu out and something a little better to ensure the motor will be save but I don't have a larger budget anymore to spend on a ecu.

Mate you get what you pay for, If your wanting to do performance and gain those numbers aswell as features Syvecs is they way as you saw in my new thread.

Not only the fact that Syvecs mapped by Ryan is responsible for me now owning one of the most powerful BPU's Supra but one of the most geared up Supras with knock sensor, advanced traction control by the twist of a knob, wideband sensor so the ECU will always be reading my fuel/air mixture and constantly adjusting it to get perfect performance but the JTI screen with all my read outs, calibration settings. I can even set a pin so my car wont start unless you know the pin! Now thats sci-fi stuff!!

Save the money and get the best, or you will always look back and think "should have I gone Syvecs?"

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Maybe see what people in other countries are fitting too? They have much more powerful cars than us, the yanks, aussies etc.

I'm in the same position, i would love and know that the Syvecs is the best on the market but 3K is beyond my finances at the min so i'm gonna go with a fcon vpro which can be got a humble money

With a good mapper the f-con is still a decent option.

What do you suggest and who to map it?

I wondered how long before this would be turned towards me.

Both of my V's are running the Megasquirt MS3 + Expansion card, I mapped them myself.

The Emerald K6 that Lyndon is looking into would be a good option, I'm pretty sure he could map them too if he wanted to.

Steve Saddler would be a recommendation from me, I believe he covers Haltech, AEM, Apexi etc.

I wondered how long before this would be turned towards me.

Both of my V's are running the Megasquirt MS3 + Expansion card, I mapped them myself.

The Emerald K6 that Lyndon is looking into would be a good option, I'm pretty sure he could map them too if he wanted to.

Steve Saddler would be a recommendation from me, I believe he covers Haltech, AEM, Apexi etc.

Turned towards you? In what way? it was a simple question, you are a strange one, you seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder for some reason.

Ive seen a couple of videos of your car reving in neutral, nothing else, are you saying he should use yourself to fit and map a megasquirt?

I cant say anything about Lyndon or Steve saddler as ive never heard of either of them.

When Ryan charges so little to map I dont see the point in using anyone else on a supra, he knows them inside out.

If you take into account all the necessary add ons needed, what is the unit cost difference between a Syvecs and the F-con?

Im not sure with regards to new mate, not a lot in it at a guess, was meaning if a secondhand unit came about, they can be picked up cheap from time to time.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Turned towards you? In what way? it was a simple question, you are a strange one, you seem to have a rather large chip on your shoulder for some reason.

Ive seen a couple of videos of your car reving in neutral, nothing else, are you saying he should use yourself to fit and map a megasquirt?

I cant say anything about Lyndon or Steve saddler as ive never heard of either of them.

When Ryan charges so little to map I dont see the point in using anyone else on a supra, he knows them inside out.

It just seemed a little aggressive to me.

Anyway, no I wasn't suggesting that, although I have a couple of members of which I am doing exactly that for.

As for only seeing a few videos of my car, that's the way I like it, if all goes to plan, you'll see them both at 'Pod though.

Lyndon is the chap responsible for the electrics on the V8 aerotop you owned, and Steve Saddler does a lot with Nissan's.

I'm off out of this thread, I've made a suggestion for an alternative, as per the OP's request.

Edited by ugp (see edit history)

Im not sure with regards to new mate, not a lot in it at a guess, was meaning if a secondhand unit came about, they can be picked up cheap from time to time.

Hopefully (if I can get enough sponsorship), I will be in a position quite soon whereby I will need to choose an ECU for the MAC 1 project.

As it is for a 4-cylinder MR2 (or a possible V6 with turbo attached or a MR2 engine with large turbo swapped) as opposed to the 3 litre Supra engine, I am wondering if the Syvecs (as wonderful as it sounds) would be overkill?

As you can tell, I have been away from the scene for so long I am pretty much a nooby now. :)

It just seemed a little aggressive to me, as if you feel nobody else should use anyone other than Ryan.

Anyway, no I wasn't suggesting that, although I have a couple of members of which I am doing exactly that for.

As for only seeing a few videos of my car, that's the way I like it, if all goes to plan, you'll see them both at 'Pod though.

Lyndon is the chap responsible for the electrics on the V8 aerotop you owned, and Steve Saddler does a lot with Nissan's.

I dont see it was an aggressive post, sorry you see it that way.

People can use who they like, i just dont see the point of suggesting ecu's without a respected mapper to map them, yes i do recommend Ryan, IMO he is the best there is, whats wrong in me expressing my opinion?

Fitting and mapping ecu's for members ehh? dont let the mods hear that, look forward to reading of the results.

Lol, see you at the pod :)

It just seemed a little aggressive to me, as if you feel nobody else should use anyone other than Ryan

I'm off out of this thread, I've made a suggestion for an alternative, as per the OP's request.

Ryan has a deservedly amazing reputation on this forum. He is peerless when it comes to mapping these cars, which is why so many members, including many of our traders, use him for mapping.

IMO a Syvecs mapped by Ryan isn't just the perfect ecu setup, it's almost an essential part of a good single build in the UK.