The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can anyone recomend an oil

ashbuster

Check a recent thread in technical for some I bought. It was Motul Synergie 6100 10w40 fully synthetic. Cost £20 for 5L from Opie Oils. I only needed 4L when I changed the oil and filter.

4L are you sure you let it drain out long enough,i have never got away with only 4L , 5L gets me about 3/4 up the dip stick

4L are you sure you let it drain out long enough,i have never got away with only 4L , 5L gets me about 3/4 up the dip stick

I let it drain for hour or so while I was trying to get the oil filter off, then when I removed the filter, a bit more came out. It had stopped dripping when I put the sump plug back in. I had probably 750ml of oil left in the container (which then went in the missus' Ka :D).

I've checked a few times since and it's at the top of the dipstick (well the top marker).

i got a torch when i done mine last :D

i do use halfords oil fully syn but still change it after about 6,000

also when people say they cant fault a oil and its really good how can you tell the differance between a 5-40 fully syn un branded and a 5-40 fully syn top brand ?

i have put semi before and i cant tell the difference between semi to fully what am i ment to be looking out for? surely only time will tell say like over 100,000 miles

I meant for the price, which to me was cheap, I couldn't fault it. That said, mine is changed every 5-6000 miles or so.

i got a torch when i done mine last :D

i do use halfords oil fully syn but still change it after about 6,000

also when people say they cant fault a oil and its really good how can you tell the differance between a 5-40 fully syn un branded and a 5-40 fully syn top brand ?

i have put semi before and i cant tell the difference between semi to fully what am i ment to be looking out for? surely only time will tell say like over 100,000 miles

In reality you can't! pretty much all modern oils are way over specked to what Toyota recommended when the 2JZ engine was developed, oils have come on in leaps and bounds since then, apart form the manufacturing, synthetic oil was developed to have a longer service life, in keeping with modern engine designe, just like spark plugs, everyone thinks iridium is somehow better, but in fact the only difference is service life, IMO putting in a £40-60 oil and then throwing it away after 6k is a daft waste of money.

In reality you can't! pretty much all modern oils are way over specked to what Toyota recommended when the 2JZ engine was developed, oils have come on in leaps and bounds since then, apart form the manufacturing, synthetic oil was developed to have a longer service life, in keeping with modern engine designe, just like spark plugs, everyone thinks iridium is somehow better, but in fact the only difference is service life, IMO putting in a £40-60 oil and then throwing it away after 6k is a daft waste of money.

Completely agree with that! As I said, for the money, the Fuchs does the job! :D

So the fuchs 5w40 fully synth is a good oil, over specced and the only thing missing is the 'competition' or 'race' from the label? Tough choice, do I spend the extra £30-40 on an oil I'll be tipping down the drain in 3k miles........hmmmm

Save your money mate and spend it on a more worthwhile mod :)