The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Virtual Works 4.5" Exhaust? Whats My Options?

JamieP

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used these guys before, there work is 1st class. They made the full titanium exhaust on Kevin Huntleys car. It's a vet good fit. There about 30 mins from me but are always crazy busy. Think you need to book in a month or so in advance for ramp time.

Second that, I know Stuart at AAS through work. Top guy and brilliant work! He is always mad busy though!!

The 4" whiffbits MP AND DP dont fit on my car either but i think i have the dodgy batch, zirotec coated too but now has to be chopped up by Lee :D happy days

It wasn't a dodgy batch!!! There never was a "dodgy batch"!!! Your manifold which you bought off Dave(I think it was)which was a pre-twin wastegate kit manifold. Originally the twin wastegate manifold wasn't sold as a kit, it was up to the owner/buyer to have a DP/MP made to fit with the manifold. The manifold was then changed to be sold as a kit so the DP/MP you bought off Jamie(I think)wasn't made to fit with the manifold you have.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

Im sure Robs is twin wastegate?

It is yes, but the early twingate manifolds (of which I think there were only 2 were made, my own and Daves) weren't made as a kit, ie a downpipe/midpipe wasn't made to go with them. The manifold design was changed slightly when they started being made as kits so a DP/MP from a "kit" manifold wont neccessarily fit the 2 early manifolds. Robs one should have had a dedicated DP/MP made for it.

Plus there are other factors to, I'm pretty sure that DP/MP was made to fit with a Precision turbo. These are different to the Borg Warner turbos which Rob is using which will also throw the DP/MP out.

So basically Rob is using a DP/MP that wasn't made to fit the manifold or turbo.

Ahh i see, there is two types of twin gate manifolds, your dp/mp looks better than mine Rob, you might have a later design one? as yours is built with 45 degree bends, not the 90's i have, they was ordered within a couple of weeks of each other, cant remember which i ordered first.

I feel special now then. Lee said he can cut the DP and MP to make it fit sweet but i was just annoyed tbo as i didnt realise but atleast i know now, makes sense cheers.

I have your DP and MP jamie which you got with the kit and you had the coated, i think they are new versions. not sure

So basically Rob is using a DP/MP that wasn't made to fit the manifold or turbo. === my DP i got jamie marries up to the turbo perfectly but does touch further down so needs cutting, the MP needs to be made longer to fit the BL exhaust.

with all this sorted it should be ok??

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

I would just like to say I had some trouble with my DP it was bought as a kit , and to cut a long story short I got a local welder to weld in 22mm of pipe at the top of the downpipe to make it sit right underneath now doing this he warped the vband flange so I decided to get it skimmed so buy now its cost me £60 for welding and skim , got it back and the skimming took to much off the flange so there was not enough to pull up . Now I can not fault Pauls service he has always answered my calls and my 1001 questions via pm and this is what I should of done was sent the DP back to him in the first place, anyway Paul got his welder to cut and put a new flange on and its fine now yes it did cost me.

Just found this place only 10 min from me, might be worth a look.

http://www.simpsonraceexhausts.com/index.html

Just spoke with simpsons and they wont work on road cars, race cars only.

Top gear said they will have a crack, but its tig welding, wont look the best and i like my car perfect.

BL seems to be doing some deals, might just order a new exhaust.

Just spoke with simpsons and they wont work on road cars, race cars only.

Top gear said they will have a crack, but its tig welding, wont look the best and i like my car perfect.

BL seems to be doing some deals, might just order a new exhaust.

How about we get it done for you? I would need your car here so we can mock it up and I'll send it off to be tig welded for you. It wont cost you...

Thats a nice offer Paul but i dont like leaving my car anywhere other than Lee's, Im happy to send the dp/mp to you so you can mod it to fit the same as the newer ones if you want, depends on the turn around time though?

I don't think that'll work, the only way to do it properly is to make it on the car. Unless you can get it tacked up and I'll send it off to be welded properly?