The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coats Spherical Rotary System

Noz

This new valve train system basically replaces cam shafts and poppet valves and brings a new design to internal combustion engines.

Due to better weight distribution, a lorry engine with >5k rpm was able to rev to 14k rpm and was able to increase the compression ratio without problem of knock.

Hope not a repost, search the forum's few times for this and couldn't find anything.

http://www.coatesengine.com/

Surely on the inlet stroke:

http://www.mostadvancedengine.com/files/theme/csrv_vs_poppet.html

It's blocked from the manifold, so can only draw in the charge held in the spherical valve? If that's true it would mean turbos wouldn't work? Or am I just looking at that simplified diagram and not thinking straight?

I thought the gas could always flow in or out if the port was open to the cylinder as the sphere has appertures drilled/cast through it allowing this?

I thought the gas could always flow in or out if the port was open to the cylinder as the sphere has appertures drilled/cast through it allowing this?

Yeah I'm looking at it a bit 2 dimensionally I think, like if it can flow out through the valve on inlet and exhaust strokes then it can flow out on the compression stroke which is just silly - but obviously the manifold ports and cylinder top aren't the same dimensions, so it's not like that at all. :twak:

I would of thought it would work with a turbo if it would work with an NA, the volume of transition would be the same for an NA, compressed air is compressed by the turbo and shouldn't be limited by a different design of how its moved from one place to another, as long as the total volume is the same, I would of thought the engine would function as normal.

The ball wouldn't restrict the chamber any more than a closed valve. This would be awesome on a 2JZ though it would cost a bomb... *drilbble*

Very interesting, not seen that before. What are the downsides of this then?

One I can see is the airflow path is kinda convoluted, a couple of 90deg bends involved. But it looks very interesting :)

Oh, that and gas sealing issues around the spherical valve on the exhaust side. But I haven't really read up on it yet, I'm just observing.

It does purport a lot of benefits, which begs the question, why hasn't F1 and manufacturers etc picked up on it/stolen it? :D

Shame it's a bit rhetoric in espousing the benefits - the stuff about the number of oil barrels is utter cobblers. Kinda dents the credibility.

The rotary valve concept is not as new as you would think. IIRC there were some aircraft engines using a variation of the system in the 30's, possibly even earlier. You can currently buy small displacement engines and RC motors that use a rotary type valve system; type RCV engines into Google for more on it. :)

It does purport a lot of benefits, which begs the question, why hasn't F1 and manufacturers etc picked up on it/stolen it? :D

I remember reading about it being tested by an F1 manufacturer during the golden 80's. Don't ask me who, but I don't think it ever made it into racing. CW might know.

I would think the downfall of this would be the same as the 13B rotary engine in the RX7. Even though the engine is very efficient it's not very reliable as the seals tend to blow often and take a lot of looking after. From what I can see I would say that this setup for the cams would suffer from the same problems in my opinion.