The mkiv Supra Owners Club

northern Ireland insurance

Jellybean

It was in the paper last week again about compulsory motor tax regardless if u use it or not

Government are loosing too much money on the emissions tax becasue people are getting greener cars

I also was chatting to a car dealer the weekend and he confirmed it is coming in, he expects it early in the new year.

Hopefully they thinking along the lines of implemeting a similar system to SCORN, but they want revenue and no easier way to get it.

Jim: Sorry Jim, I got it mixed up with the new UK legislation around compulsary Insurance regarless if the car is off the road , this is not here yet

Not a chance of they will put the tax in the fuel so you pay as you drive. Afraid they would loose more revenue!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/1012/1224305633573.html

Jim any tyre places up your way, Supra needs a new pair of shoes! Prices down here are crazy, they want 1.5K but I can get the same tyres from Camskill for 600-700 euro delivered

Found the Article

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/motorists-face-tax-bill-for-off-the-road-cars-177198.html

Motorists face tax bill for ‘off the road’ cars

By Gordon Deegan

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

CASH-STRAPPED households will have to pay tax for cars that are "off the road" under controversial plans being drawn up by the Government.

The move to close the loophole that exempts the payment of motor tax when a car is parked up will further anger motorists already facing a range of increased costs after the budget and families who have been forced to take second cars off the road.

The measure is set to net the state €40 million per annum — just short of the €47m per annum the Government will raise in the 7% motor tax increase announced in the budget.

According to an internal Department of Transport document, it has been agreed in principle with the Department of the Environment that legislation should be introduced to close the legal provision for non-payment of motor tax for a period while a vehicle is reported to the gardaí as being "off the road".

The document states: "It is believed that there is considerable abuse of this provision and that the legislative change proposed is in the interest of overall fairness."

The spending review states: "The Department of the Environment will have responsibility for the legislation and it has been agreed that the proceeds should be shared equally between roads and local authorities."

The briefing document states: "The full-year benefit to this department, when fully implemented, will be at least €40m. We have assumed that it will take a couple of years for a full culture of compliance to emerge, and have therefore built in an expectation of around €13.5m in 2012, €26m in 2013 and the full €40m in 2014."

Figures provided by the Department of Transport show motor tax receipts were €1.06 billion in 2008, reducing to €1.024bn last year, with final receipts for 2011 expected to be in the order of €998m.

Director of policy with AA Ireland Conor Faughnan described the new measure as "unfair".

"Natural justice would suggest that if you are, say for example, a doctor and working abroad for six months, you should not have to tax your car back in Ireland for that time when it isn’t in use."

Mr Faughnan said the new measure "has nothing to do with good governance. It is just another way of raising taxes and clearly penalises motorists who don’t have their cars on the road".

Mr Faughnan said the move is not about closing a legal loophole. "It wasn’t a loophole. It was clearly provided for, that if your car was off the road, you didn’t have to pay road tax.

"The €47m from the increase in road tax and the €40m from the closing of this provision is a lot of money, but it is quite small compared to the €4bn the Government generates in fuel taxes.

"There are a suite of taxes against the motorist that are riddled with unfairness," he said.

However, Fianna Fáil’s transport spokesman Timmy Dooley said the loophole is being widely abused.

"From reports from Garda stations around the country there has been, I understand, a significant element of tax evasion going on by motorists concerning the ‘off the road’ provision.

"The McCarthy report identified this loophole and the closing of it can generate significant revenues and it would lead to greater equity in the paying of motor tax," he said.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/motorists-face-tax-bill-for-off-the-road-cars-177198.html#ixzz1hGOhO4Mh

I'll run it by some of the other lads in work in the morning, but in my opinion enforcing the above would violate your right to privacy in your own home, which is in our beloved constitution (Article 40) and any constututionally protected right supersede's any law made by the oireachtas.

In essence I think its a complete storm in a tea cup and we'll just adopt a system similar to the SORN system in the UK.

Only issue I see with implementing SCORN here is the cost to setup the IT system and the time it will take to do it; they are looking at generating revenue from this as early as 2012 so I cannot see a SCORN type system setup by 2012

The SORN system seems fair, if admin charges are reasonable!!!!Implementing that in this country may take years though with setting up a new IT system, database management and all the associated consulting fees and testing etc.

Ideally they will implemented a system similar to the UK where the age of the car comes into effect and have a three tier system versus our two tier, I reckon I have a better chance of winning Euro millions than seeing this here plus on top of this They are trying to get older cars off the road so we buy new; VRT, VAT, Customs and keep the Car dealers happy

But those figures in the article are over inflated , Government are treating everybody who has a car registered and out of tax as a tax evader.

The vast majority of these cars are legit, if these figures are included in the next few budgets , I cannot see the Government implementing SCORN, it will be black and white, if it is registered it gets taxed!

This year I only used my 3 liter, for about 30 days but have paid out 6 months motor tax. I would continue to pay the motor pax but I can only afford the 6 months this year. If this comes into effect I will need to consider selling up and use my 1 liter car full time.

To me the government will loose more revenue in the long run, from me: road tax and Petrol costs , nevermind the knock on effect to a mechanic to service my car and the associated parts they make vat, customs on,annual NCT.

If the government want to talk about fairness, me with my 17 year old 5K car and the other guy with a brand new GTR for 100K , both pay the same motor tax; if they want to be fair implement the UK three tier system. I am sure if everybody could afford a New GTR they would buy one, dont worry I am not holding out on Mr Kenny!

If they implemented the three tier UK system , they would make more money from me than they are now, via petrol costs and maintance costs.

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

DIBBS!!! :D When you want me to transfer the money Carlo?

According to here she is only worth €3163 with an annual motortax of 1500 , ha ha!! I wont be greddy , lets call it 3k; you lodge 3k to my off shore account and I will meet you with the car just give me 48 hours ha ha