The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on removing lousy aftermarket gear knob

alex2jz

Found a thread with a similar knob being installed, and by the looks of it, it should just unscrew and come off. Mine easily unscrews but until a point in which it doesn't unscrew anymore or come off. So maybe there is some damage to the thread...

Off to the car now for more pulling ...

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178720

Found a thread with a similar knob being installed, and by the looks of it, it should just unscrew and come off. Mine easily unscrews but until a point in which it doesn't unscrew anymore or come off. So maybe there is some damage to the thread...

Oh god, hes putting one on! Im thinking hacksaw dude, mask up the area around it, pull out a seat if needed to get a good position and heave ho untill that thing dies! Keep us updated.

No, what he is doing is putting the standard nut for the auto shifter into the universal momo gearknob. The gearknob isn't a screw fitting, it's a universal fitting. He is modifying it slightly so that it screws on/off.

The manual gearknob doesn't have a removable nut so unless the previous owner has went to the hassle of finding a nut that fits and modifying the knob to suit I don't think it will screw off.

next post i see from you is the gear nob in 1000 pieces! lol

The pleasure of that will be indescribable. It will go down sooner or later, one way or the other.

No, what he is doing is putting the standard nut for the auto shifter into the universal momo gearknob. The gearknob isn't a screw fitting, it's a universal fitting. He is modifying it slightly so that it screws on/off.

The manual gearknob doesn't have a removable nut so unless the previous owner has went to the hassle of finding a nut that fits and modifying the knob to suit I don't think it will screw off.

I see. Now looking at his pictures again, it may be possible that the knob rotates and ascends easily at first when rotated counterclockwise, because the middle part ( one that holds the nut from the autoshifter in that thread) is actually screwing off but stops when it reaches the bottom shiny part which is still attached. So that's back to square one...

Woo hoo! Been following this and I'm really happy for you.

Now go shoot it to pieces.

Thanks man ! The secret didn't really stand in the dremel or the pliers, but in the hands... I put two high grip gloves and twisted the %&F* out of it and the bottom ring unscrewed. It was easy from there.

Thanks everybody for the help and motivation ! BTW I'm doing the head unit next lol

Edited by alex2jz (see edit history)

Get in - back of the net!!!!

Well done Alex, really pleased for you.

Thanks Steve ! It was quite a hassle but not needing to cut it off really made my day. The interior already looks better without it.

Brute Force 1 Gear knob 0 :D

I was told Brute Force always wins when removing knobs, i can now confirm lol

Post it to me and I'll take it down the range, give it some .357 loving :D

So you can have all the fun ? No way :tongue:

Now seriously i would prefer to see it shot at. With the luck i've had with this thing, it will probably smack me in the head when i try hammering it, but i'm not in the UK and would be a hassle.

Congrats mate, post up some pics of your tidier interior. Then burn the knob with fire! The gearknob, not David Cameron

Thanks Gaz ! Need to replace head unit as well as it's not my style and besides that it's old as my grandmother. Choosing the PIONEER AVH-P2300DVD, along with the OEM knob and leather seats should give the interior quite a change.

Don't worry about the gearknob it's in good hands.. NOT.