The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance valuation on a 1996 Supra TT

rider

Insurers are unlikely to ever pay out any more than you insure the car for and I'm beginning to wonder if I have my car a little under insured at £5,000. The car is a near show condition 1996 TT in white, 6 speed manual. I've owned the car since 1998 so I've put it through every MOT which, incidentally, it's always sailed through.

The car runs as well as I remember it did in 13 years ago. Mileage is 99K though it's pretty much been my second car for the last 8 years so only does about 4,000 a year. So, with full synthetic oil change every 4K miles for a good few years now it really should be running well.

The car is a grey import model.

Seeing what peeps are looking for similar cars I'm wondering if I may need more like £9,000 to guarantee an equivalent car. Does owning the car for 13 years add value were I looking to sell it on?

I'd assume having all the MOTs and having owned the car for so long would go a long way to getting a good price if you came to sell it.

I think when it's time to renew, I need to have a look at getting an agreed value, even if it costs a little more. Just in case.

My '97 TT J-spec import is stock and insured for £8.5k. When I had an accident the insurance company confirmed the spec and then authorised £6.4k of repairs. As they normal only authorise up to about 80% of the car's value (I think) before they write it off I reckon that value is about right or they wouldn't have authorised the repair.