The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changed 02 sensor still thirsty as hell!

Thomas.B

sorry to bump and old thread but at least I searched!

Had both my O2 sensors done (Uk spec) and MPG is still poor, so I have reset my ECU tonight by removing the fuse etc.

I'll update you guys to whether my economy improves! (17mpg atm stock UK spec)

Try checking if you have a sticky brake caliper, easy to check- see if the wheels get hot after driving around or jack up and see if all wheels spin easy. Best to eliminate the easy jobs first before moving onto others.

• 2 weeks later...
Try checking if you have a sticky brake caliper, easy to check- see if the wheels get hot after driving around or jack up and see if all wheels spin easy. Best to eliminate the easy jobs first before moving onto others.

Doesn't tend to happen on a UK spec as they aren't sliding calipers :) Still worth checking though as it's very simple.

A quick update, basically when I reset my ECU. I went for a spirited drive and my economy for the week before last was even worse despite driving it sensibly for the remainder of the week!

Now fast forward to this week, I reset my ECU again and drove it very sensibly directly after and have had over 20MPG economy so far all week.

Am I right in thinking that because I gunned it straight after resetting the ECU, the ECU learnt to give more fuel etc, whereas now it is being more conservative?

Sorry I don't really know too much about the stock ECU.

Personally I don't think 17 MPG if it's measured accurately is that bad for an old 3 litre twin turbo engine in a heavy car. Allowing for inaacuracies in measurement (how are you measuring the MPG exactly?), and the fact the engine is far from fresh, it's not an outrageous figure. Keeping resetting the ecu is a wast of time, all it does is slowly re learn how much ignition advance it should apply before it sees a bit of det. It's very basic technology and won't make much if an difference to your consumption overall.