The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost to go single?

Bryson

Honestly, where's the fun in that???? :)

lots of fun imo you get to just use the car, your wife doesnt divorce you due to spending to long in the garage converting the car yourself trying to save money, the car is worth what you paid for it when you sell it so dont loose a fortune like when converting one yourself, its win win win as long as you buy the right car.

lots of fun imo you get to just use the car, your wife doesnt divorce you due to spending to long in the garage converting the car yourself trying to save money, the car is worth what you paid for it when you sell it so dont loose a fortune like when converting one yourself, its win win win as long as you buy the right car.

Well I'm not divorced as yet lol.

The was that I see it is, if you build it yourself you know it's right and how meticulous you have been throughout the build. You could be buying someone elses shite. I'm not saying the afor mentioned cars are shite cos the far from it, I was just speaking in general terms.

Well I'm not divorced as yet lol.

The was that I see it is, if you build it yourself you know it's right and how meticulous you have been throughout the build. You could be buying someone elses $#@!e. I'm not saying the afor mentioned cars are $#@!e cos the far from it, I was just speaking in general terms.

hence buying the right car.

The biggest thing about doing your own build is knowing the car inside out, the extra power etc is great, but the enjoyment ive had doing it is probably the biggest bonus,

Building my own has been the best learning experience and i know the engine inside and out. didnt touch the bottom end as it was out the orange beast and looked in perfect order, so fingers crossed.

I wouldnt build another i dont think, due to the time i have put into the build ( i work up to silly hours most days chroming and polishing, just takes ages) but i would love to start building some engines for customers, now that would be fun

The biggest thing about doing your own build is knowing the car inside out, the extra power etc is great, but the enjoyment ive had doing it is probably the biggest bonus,

just to put some perspective to my point here.

my car was £27500

most parts are either new or done very low miles

receipt figures from my cars build

hks stroker kit £7000

full hkst51r spl bb kit £5000

full custom 5" exhaust £3500

biggest gredy brakes available £5000

carbonetics clutch £2700

carbonetics diff £1000

do luck kit blister wings £2000

all body work widening and painting £4000

hks fcon gold, hks boost, gauges etc £2000

brand new gearbox from toyota £5000

jun inlet, 100cc injectors, rail twin entry, twin fuel pumps £2500

hks intercooler £900

head ported, bigger valves, 272 cams, uprated springs £1500

volk rays 19" £2000

just toting that up is £44000 without any labour or other parts ive missed out. so you see even building it myself would cost way more than i payed for a ready built car. even if it breaks im not bothered as its worth its money in the sum of its parts, ive just broke a old gtr skyline up for parts and made £14000 back from a car that innitially cost £4000.

i dont earn massive money just started with a pot of £10000 for a car about 6 years ago had nice cars and made money on them on the way now have a £27000 supra thats actually cost only £18000 of my hard earned wages.

are any of these beast daily drivers?? i think if i had the chance to do a single project id need a bangar to run around in for a cpl of years whilst i did it

Mine was a daily driver in HK, my main concern was reliability rather than squeezing every last hp out of the setup. I didn't want any reliability issues down line ie. I wanted to do it right the first time. All ancillary parts were renewed and the engine was rebuilt using manly brand new OEM Toyota parts, I didn't cut any corners on the build and used only quality parts. I also had the added need for the car to be reliable in traffic in 38C+ temps on a regular basis, so cooling was an added concern. The only issue I had after the build was a slightly leaky coolant pipe fitting to the turbo, once that was renewed it never missed a beat and with regular services I'm sure would have been good for many years of trouble free use.

scary when you start adding things up!! i dont do it as i would kick myself.

i watched everyone do it when i was younger, when i was 21 a guy i know sold a 500 3 door cosworth to me for £10000 it had done 2k miles on a1 rallysport engine proper rs500 spec engine and the car owed him over £20000 !

after watching him and others do it i vowed to myself i will never let it happen to me, let someone else take the hit as the cars are out there its just a matter of sifting through the junk and finding them.

i had some small issues issues to sort with the supra but i think they were a major factor in the car being for sale as it seemed as though the guy had just had enough, it just needed checking over properly to iron out the issues its been spot on since touch wood.

just to put some perspective to my point here.

my car was £27500

most parts are either new or done very low miles

receipt figures from my cars build

hks stroker kit £7000

full hkst51r spl bb kit £5000

full custom 5" exhaust £3500

biggest gredy brakes available £5000

carbonetics clutch £2700

carbonetics diff £1000

do luck kit blister wings £2000

all body work widening and painting £4000

hks fcon gold, hks boost, gauges etc £2000

brand new gearbox from toyota £5000

jun inlet, 100cc injectors, rail twin entry, twin fuel pumps £2500

hks intercooler £900

head ported, bigger valves, 272 cams, uprated springs £1500

volk rays 19" £2000

just toting that up is £44000 without any labour or other parts ive missed out. so you see even building it myself would cost way more than i payed for a ready built car. even if it breaks im not bothered as its worth its money in the sum of its parts, ive just broke a old gtr skyline up for parts and made £14000 back from a car that innitially cost £4000.

i dont earn massive money just started with a pot of £10000 for a car about 6 years ago had nice cars and made money on them on the way now have a £27000 supra thats actually cost only £18000 of my hard earned wages.

Your car was certainly a good buy, not often a car will come up like that though, its very rare i see a single setup supra for sale that i think has a good spec, most look to need a lot of work to get to a standard where i would be happy.

People tend to keep the good ones.