The mkiv Supra Owners Club

StuartW 8.9 and 8.8 run at Japshow 2011.

JamieP

The maximum width of a trailer must not exceed 2.3 metres (7’6”) or 2.5 metres (8’2.5”) when towed by a heavy goods vehicle. The trailer must not extend more than 305mm (12”) outwards each side of the towing vehicle, irrespective of allowable width. The maximum permitted trailer body length without the tow bar is 7 metres but the overall train length must not exceed 18.35 metres. Be careful, many of the US trailers are over size for UK use. Some have weird and potentially illegal electronic over run brakes. The trailer in the ad would only be legal behind an HGV, which is what I thought. VOSA are having a purge on trailers as they are allegedly going bust and need to rake in some money ;) Good guide here: http://www.batesontrailers.com/trailer-towing-guide.asp

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

It would be fine on my wheels under bed flatbed. It's a two axle TT model from Brian James, it happens to the be the PDQ type just because i bought it secondhand and it had been used behind a small recover truck with drive over loading ramps. I tow my Skyline on it behind my Volvo V90 estate and it's legal, but a full weight Supra might just take it over the weight limit. An X5 should laugh at it. Box trailers and saloons are a nightmare anyway. How do you open the door to get in and out? You can't..... http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2011_2TT_web_1.pdf mines a 16 foot one.

It would be fine on my wheels under bed flatbed. It's a two axle TT model from Brian James, it happens to the be the PDQ type just because i bought it secondhand and it had been used behind a small recover truck with drive over loading ramps. I tow my Skyline on it behind my Volvo V90 estate and it's legal, but a full weight Supra might just take it over the weight limit. An X5 should laugh at it. Box trailers and saloons are a nightmare anyway. How do you open the door to get in and out? You can't..... http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/BJT_UK_2011_2TT_web_1.pdf mines a 16 foot one.

Got ya, I liked the idea of a box trailer so I could leave the car in it when not using it, over winter etc, I had in my head you just winch it in and out, not getting inside the car?

You could just buy my Trailor Jamie, that is known to accomadate a wide body Supra and take it up and down the country...lol

If that's the case I don't think the supra would fit on anything I could tow behind a x5, maybe one ofthe open flatbed trailers where the wheels are under the bed?

The maximum width of a trailer must not exceed 2.3 metres (7’6”) or 2.5 metres (8’2.5”) when towed by a heavy goods vehicle. The trailer must not extend more than 305mm (12”) outwards each side of the towing vehicle, irrespective of allowable width. The maximum permitted trailer body length without the tow bar is 7 metres but the overall train length must not exceed 18.35 metres. Be careful, many of the US trailers are over size for UK use. Some have weird and potentially illegal electronic over run brakes. The trailer in the ad would only be legal behind an HGV, which is what I thought. VOSA are having a purge on trailers as they are allegedly going bust and need to rake in some money ;) Good guide here: http://www.batesontrailers.com/trailer-towing-guide.asp

Thats narrower than my RV which is NOT an HGV so how do you stand there ?????

If that's the case I don't think the supra would fit on anything I could tow behind a x5, maybe one ofthe open flatbed trailers where the wheels are under the bed?

Brian James auto tilt, its idiot proof and a supra fits no problem, even my 57 fits on and its not the biggest they do. That and a car cover and pop up marquee.

Got ya, I liked the idea of a box trailer so I could leave the car in it when not using it, over winter etc, I had in my head you just winch it in and out, not getting inside the car?

You do JP, must have had mine in and out about 20 times at the pod, takes about 30 seconds to winch it in.

Thats narrower than my RV which is NOT an HGV so how do you stand there ?????

You'd probably be standing in the dock if someone awkward from VOSA stopped you and was having a bad day. It's the TRAILER width, not the towing vehicle width they look at, so even if the trailer was NARROWER than your none HGV vehicle I assume it would still be illegal if it was over 7 foot 6 inches wide.

Who said my car? im thinking the old jps drag supra, just not sure i can be arsed with it all yet, while im there yesterday i think its a great idea, now sat on the bog thinking about todays work im thinking a drag supra is more work than i have time for.

Buy it Jamie...I am sending you some pics...It would be CHEAP!!

You'd probably be standing in the dock if someone awkward from VOSA stopped you and was having a bad day. It's the TRAILER width, not the towing vehicle width they look at, so even if the trailer was NARROWER than your none HGV vehicle I assume it would still be illegal if it was over 7 foot 6 inches wide.

Not the dock again !!!!!!