The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel size options

supna

The more you drop the suspension the more the camber increases.

I would suggest that the springs are too low and making the wheels splay out.

Most Supra's are set to have a little camber but your's sounds ott.

I think the actual settings were posted try the search function using key words like camber and toe.

I wouldn't take your Supra for re-alignment to Kwik-Fit. They won't have the tools.

You need a place with 4-wheel laser alignment. Bodyshops have to have these as they have to put together cars that were crashed.

Don't know if that will help or not.

I thought all MkIV's wore the inner front out early. I know mine does! You can set the camber to not do that but the handling suffers, apparently. It's depressing to see perfectly good tread on the outside and canvas on the inner...

You could always do what Alex suggested to me, swap the tyres round and wear them even :)

-Ian

PS that last bit was in jest...

Originally posted by Ian C

I thought all MkIV's wore the inner front out early. I know mine does!

I've said that already!

Geesh read the previous posts why don't you! :D

Though I'm still trying to work out if Supra Pilot was being nice or having a dig, the wine is affecting me!

Dunebug,

225/40/18's front and back, sounds like youv'e got the wrong size wheels and tyres, are you using spacers?

I can do some good deals on tyres, Pm me for a quote.

Originally posted by Dunebug

Folks,

It seems like there are a good few of you that know exactly what you are talking about and I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I bought a Japanese spec. 94 MKIV TT Manual that had been lowered and fitted with 18" alloys before it was imported to the UK (Not sure whether this was factory fit or after). The problem I have is that it just failed it's MOT due to excessive wear on the inside of both front tyres. When I say excessive I mean excessive - there is a good 10mm of tread on the rest of the tyre and the fibres are showing on the inside 15mm of the tyres. The tyres are 225/40 RZ 18's on both front and back.

I had originally thought it was maybe just a problem with the camber on the fronts and was on here to look for recommended camber settings but now I'm not so sure. Any suggestions? And does anyone know of a decent place to get the work done in Edinburgh? Additionally, any recomendations for tyres? :)

I know it's a lot to ask but I'm a complete novice and the last thing I want to do is take it into Kwik Fit and them feck it up completely ;)

Originally posted by Ibrar Jabbar

Dunebug,

225/40/18's front and back, sounds like youv'e got the wrong size wheels and tyres, are you using spacers?

I can do some good deals on tyres, Pm me for a quote.

I can't believe i missed that! Curse me and the alchohol I've consumed.

Let it be alesson to you all, scan reading misses key facts!

Stock tyre sizes are 235 front and 255 rear. Your 18" wheels sound like complete shite, no offence :) Ill fitting and with the wrong tyres... I'd get some replacements on order...from Ibrar! :D

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

I can't believe i missed that! Curse me and the alchohol I've consumed.

Let it be alesson to you all, scan reading misses key facts!

Stock tyre sizes are 235 front and 255 rear. Your 18" wheels sound like complete shite, no offence :) Ill fitting and with the wrong tyres... I'd get some replacements on order...from Ibrar! :D

Yeah there's been no end of people with the same size tires front to back recently, and more often than not smaller than stock.

Whoever put them on the car needs a good :twak:

I had thought that the 225/40s were on it as a result of the lowering and the 18" alloys. I'm not 100% sure but I reckon any larger tyres might start rubbing on the bodywork.

Does anyone have any direct experience of adjusting the camber on the front wheels? And should I always have larger tyres on the rear irrespective of the size of the wheels/ride height?

Alan, I recently had Chris fit his suspension to my car and can vouch for it. I put a review of it on here a little while ago if you want to do a search for it.

I've also been toying with the idea of buying some Blitz Technospeeds (my stock wheels are in a real state) and having read what Chris says regarding them working well with his suspension I'm now more tempted than ever, wonder if we could haggle a discount on 2 sets ?, let me know if you're interested.

Dunebug

as short term solution you could do alot worse than getting hold of some stock 16's (as long as you have the smaller J-spec brakes which you probably have given your current wheels). They can be picked up for £50 or less with useable rubber (certainly no fibres showing) and you will see if you get any rubbing of arches etc. I know the Sup won't quite look the same but it will almost definitely feel, handle and grip better. You can then decide on the long term alloy plans :eek:££££££

I had thought that the 225/40s were on it as a result of the lowering and the 18" alloys. I'm not 100% sure but I reckon any larger tyres might start rubbing on the bodywork.

Does anyone have any direct experience of adjusting the camber on the front wheels? And should I always have larger tyres on the rear irrespective of the size of the wheels/ride height?

I have 18" wheels with 235/40 up front and 255/35 rear and I know that you could fit 255/35 and 275/35 without any problems and probably even wider on stock suspension, but on lowered I don't know. You should always try and keep the ratio front to rear the same as stock.

Thanks Michael.

Do you know why you should keep the same ratio of front to back as on stock? And have you ever changed the camber settings on your fronts?

So you don't stuff up the handling!

And no I've never changed the camber settings.

I guessed it might have something to do with performance. :stupid: :)

Can you explain what effect it has on performance and why? Why would I want to keep the same ratio as stock when the ride height has been lowered, the wheels are bigger, and the tyres are lower profile? I would have thought those things would mean that I couldn't necessarily trust any of the stock settings.

I guessed it might have something to do with performance. :stupid: :)

Can you explain what effect it has on performance and why? Why would I want to keep the same ratio as stock when the ride height has been lowered, the wheels are bigger, and the tyres are lower profile? I would have thought those things would mean that I couldn't necessarily trust any of the stock settings.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. You need smaller tires at the front than at the back, stock sizes are 235 front, 255 rear. If you went up to 255 at the front your would need 275 at the rear. The reason AFAIK that the front tires are smaller is to make the car less tailhappy, sticking the same width on all round would probably make cornering a lot more 'interesting'.

Thanks Michael,

I'm not trying to take the p***. Just want to make sure I understand what I'm talking about when I take the car into the garage. I'll feel like a complete idiot in any event. Might as well limit the number of faux pas I'll make.

No worries :D

OK, so the garage have said they can't set the camber to anything but the factory settings and I know the factory setting won't do me any good. What do I do? Do I take it to a less reputable garage or just trust my own judgement? Folks, I need help here.

OK, so the garage have said they can't set the camber to anything but the factory settings and I know the factory setting won't do me any good. What do I do? Do I take it to a less reputable garage or just trust my own judgement? Folks, I need help here.

Take it to a garage who know what they are on about.