The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who here has the FASTEST broadband?

Septic

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno who's got the fastest but I reckon the Virgin Media transit vans are way faster than their 10meg broadband, what's all this cobblers about fibre optic, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link and that's the cable coming down my street!.

Depends what version of broadband you have from VM. If it's the DSL (Fibre Optic) then you won't see less than 10mb (unless you download over the odds), if it's the ADSL (telephone line) then you won't get any better than BT can supply.

VM Fibre optic does exactly what it says on the tin.

Netherlands has always had good broadband... I remember speaking to a friend around 1999/2000 and he had the equivalent of a T3 to his house!

Indeed, however the connection i'm mostly using is at my work (university 10Gb uplink) so I cheated a little however at home the connection is also very fast.

A lot of homes in the Netherlands are getting fiberglass connections nowadays.

@caseys

My connection can download faster than my HDD can write. Your OS will tell your connection to hold it's horses until the disk write queue has been emptied ;)

Indeed, however the connection i'm mostly using is at my work (university 10Gb uplink) so I cheated a little however at home the connection is also very fast.

A lot of homes in the Netherlands are getting fiberglass connections nowadays.

@caseys

My connection can download faster than my HDD can write. Your OS will tell your connection to hold it's horses until the disk write queue has been emptied ;)

10Gb isn't too shabby :)

Oh I have no problems with writes to disk.... I don't think I will get any I/O queuing for a LONG time :D

Depends what version of broadband you have from VM. If it's the DSL (Fibre Optic) then you won't see less than 10mb (unless you download over the odds), if it's the ADSL (telephone line) then you won't get any better than BT can supply.

VM Fibre optic does exactly what it says on the tin.

So youv'e fallen for the hype eh!. I remember them putting the cables in around here and they have not been changed, still got wire in em mate. Fibre optic my foot!!!.

So youv'e fallen for the hype eh!. I remember them putting the cables in around here and they have not been changed, still got wire in em mate. Fibre optic my foot!!!.
Not really sure what you mean? Cable has been fibre since the Telepest & NTHell days. Noone on the VM Broadband service will get less than what it says on the tin as it's the modem and config file that caps the speed, not the infrastructure. Even at peak times the only slow down you will ever meet is when you download more than what VM deem as fair, during which times they will cap you a certain amount. I can't remember what the figures are but IMO they are reasonable. I've been with Telewest through to VM, right from the introduction of broadband in the UK. I started off with a 512Kb line, and have progressed to through the years on the maximum available tariff until 20mb (I refuse to give them the money for 50mb at the moment). Not once during my entire time have I had anything less than advertised. Same goes for everyone I know that has been with them. A lot of people confuse their speed with the download speeds they get on torrents etc, where you will only recieve as fast as the peers can give. The best way to check your internet speed is via newsgroups, even the speedtest.net service isn't very dependable. However, Virgin's ADSL service, I think it was previously called virginmedia.net or something like that, is just as bad as the rest of the ADSL services in the UK. The one major downfall in this case is that the customer service is absolutely woeful making it one of the worst ADSL service providers. That's going from customer reviews and speaking to people who have had it, I haven't had any dealings with the .net service personally. Apologies if this comes out in all the one paragraph btw :D

It's optical for most places I'm afraid chap. If you want you can pop by my house and see the -10db attenuator on the end of my cable modem then see what it does to your retinas after it's taken off and we've got the full fat amped longwave laser :)VM run others adsl/copper when/where they don't have their own infra in place, but where it's theirs it's predominantly fibre (I can't vouch for 100% of the country!)

Sorry Scott, what do you mean by newsgroups?

Not really sure how to describe them to be honest. If you are with virgin I think you get basic access to them, I know I used to although I haven't checked for a while.

Basically you can upload and download files to/from them. Depending on the provider they will easily max out your connection. I don't know how fast they will allow as they maxed out my mates 50Mb line no bother lol.

It's optical for most places I'm afraid chap. If you want you can pop by my house and see the -10db attenuator on the end of my cable modem then see what it does to your retinas after it's taken off and we've got the full fat amped longwave laser :)VM run others adsl/copper when/where they don't have their own infra in place, but where it's theirs it's predominantly fibre (I can't vouch for 100% of the country!)

The basic rule is, if you have a cable coming to your house you have cable lol. If it's through the phoneline it's just like all the rest.

I don't think I have light going into my modem though?

Not really sure what you mean? Cable has been fibre since the Telepest & NTHell days. Noone on the VM Broadband service will get less than what it says on the tin as it's the modem and config file that caps the speed, not the infrastructure. Even at peak times the only slow down you will ever meet is when you download more than what VM deem as fair, during which times they will cap you a certain amount. I can't remember what the figures are but IMO they are reasonable. I've been with Telewest through to VM, right from the introduction of broadband in the UK. I started off with a 512Kb line, and have progressed to through the years on the maximum available tariff until 20mb (I refuse to give them the money for 50mb at the moment). Not once during my entire time have I had anything less than advertised. Same goes for everyone I know that has been with them. A lot of people confuse their speed with the download speeds they get on torrents etc, where you will only recieve as fast as the peers can give. The best way to check your internet speed is via newsgroups, even the speedtest.net service isn't very dependable. However, Virgin's ADSL service, I think it was previously called virginmedia.net or something like that, is just as bad as the rest of the ADSL services in the UK. The one major downfall in this case is that the customer service is absolutely woeful making it one of the worst ADSL service providers. That's going from customer reviews and speaking to people who have had it, I haven't had any dealings with the .net service personally. Apologies if this comes out in all the one paragraph btw :D

What I mean is that the local area is supplied by Cables with wire in it ,not fibre optic as claimed by VM, I fully agree that mainframes out to local area "may" be fibre but the ones round here have copper wire in them. I can say this with all certainty having stood over the guy who remade my water damaged and rotted out cable in the street, he said " this is long overdue for replacement", it hasn't happened yet though. So please do not jump to the defence of a company who purposely use misleading advertising about it's network. I also have been with VM and it's forerunner since I used to pay line rental for a second line to run my 14.4K modem, I will admit there has been a lot of improvement but I do not have a" fibre" connection and believe they charge far to much for what the give (they also don't give me a pensioners discount which would be nice).

What I mean is that the local area is supplied by Cables with wire in it ,not fibre optic as claimed by VM, I fully agree that mainframes out to local area "may" be fibre but the ones round here have copper wire in them. I can say this with all certainty having stood over the guy who remade my water damaged and rotted out cable in the street, he said " this is long overdue for replacement", it hasn't happened yet though. So please do not jump to the defence of a company who purposely use misleading advertising about it's network. I also have been with VM and it's forerunner since I used to pay line rental for a second line to run my 14.4K modem, I will admit there has been a lot of improvement but I do not have a" fibre" connection and believe they charge far to much for what the give (they also don't give me a pensioners discount which would be nice).

I couldn't care less if it is fibre optic at my door or not, as long as I get the service I'm paying for (20mb) then I am happy. The line to your house can cope with FAR more than 20, 50, 100, 200mb. I don't know exactly how much more, but I'm sure it's easily into the GB of bandwidth before the relatively short length of copper would become an issue. The main VM network is fibre optic, which is where it really matters as it needs the ridiculously high bandwidth to keep full networks of people happy. Copper wire to peoples doorstep has never been the bottle neck, loss of signal over the copper wire is where it can become a problem hence why BT customers get issues the further they are from the exchange, but the relatively short lengths of cable that we have (50m or so) certainly won't cause any problems.

I could understand if you weren't getting the speeds that you should be getting, are you not? But I don't see the issue here to be honest.

We have fibre out to our estate... unfortunately it's the old TPON crap they installed to a lot of new housing estates in the 90's and it's not the proper fibre needed for a cable connection. We struggle to get 1MB on a good day over ADSL :(

Not really sure how to describe them to be honest. If you are with virgin I think you get basic access to them, I know I used to although I haven't checked for a while.

Basically you can upload and download files to/from them. Depending on the provider they will easily max out your connection. I don't know how fast they will allow as they maxed out my mates 50Mb line no bother lol.

Cheers Scott. Still don't get it but nevermind :p

Thanks again Scott. Its starting to make sense :)

I could be wrong but newsgroups remind me of the land of the net without websites. I remember years ago, when a 28kbps modem cost around £300, that my cousin used to sit and browse what I could only describe as newsgroups. To be honest I think that's what they were but I just don't remember lol.

If you ever saw the internet before it was the internet, it is like browsing newsgroups.

Oh you mean those blank white pages with files that are listed in columns (usually in blue). Ah yes I remember. I come across a few sites using those once in a while.

Na, that's generally FTP :)

What I remember looked pretty much like newsgroups.

http://www.lisisoft.com/imglisi2/1/8/182610-newsgroup-commander-pro.gif