The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help Ariel trouble

bullet_uk

When my MkIII ones failed, I just bought £30 electric antennas from the local shop. Assuming that they'll fit in the MkIV, all you need to do is use a multimeter to determine positive and negative terminals on the car plug and connect the two antenna wires to whichever give you normal operation by trial and error, if there's a choice of terminals like the MkIII. In the MkIII you could either have the antenna go down when you inserted a cassette or CD or stay up until the radio was switched off. Factory replacement units are £250 btw and I think the masts are £60.

As for length not making any difference, the greater the vertical coverage, the more of the waves' amplitude you'll sample and thusly will get better reception. Sure, with a decent head unit you might get good reception but you cannot get optimum reception. It's impossible if the wave amplitude exceeds the antenna length because you're chopping off the top and bottom of the waveform, for example. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have no idea how large the AM/FM amplitudes are but more is better in this case I think, if only as built up areas will obstruct radio waves more anyway and the taller the mast, the more chance of picking them up.

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

When my MkIII ones failed, I just bought £30 electric antennas from the local shop. Assuming that they'll fit in the MkIV, all you need to do is use a multimeter to determine positive and negative terminals on the car plug and connect the two antenna wires to whichever give you normal operation by trial and error, if there's a choice of terminals like the MkIII. In the MkIII you could either have the antenna go down when you inserted a cassette or CD or stay up until the radio was switched off. Factory replacement units are £250 btw and I think the masts are £60.

As for length not making any difference, the greater the vertical coverage, the more of the waves' amplitude you'll sample and thusly will get better reception. Sure, with a decent head unit you might get good reception but you cannot get optimum reception. It's impossible if the wave amplitude exceeds the antenna length because you're chopping off the top and bottom of the waveform, for example. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have no idea how large the AM/FM amplitudes are but more is better in this case I think, if only as built up areas will obstruct radio waves more anyway and the taller the mast, the more chance of picking them up.

as all this does make perfect sense how do you explain shark fin ariels for example a new bmw with a shark fin does not have any worse signal then my supra ?????????????

as all this does make perfect sense how do you explain shark fin ariels for example a new bmw with a shark fin does not have any worse signal then my supra ?????????????

Dunno mate! You'll have to ask them. :)

Newfangled technology from the Stealth Bomber perhaps? Maybe it's like the Tardis with a longer mast inside than it looks like from the outside? :D

lol best i get one of them then

Here you go ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dummy-Black-Car-Shark-Fin-Roof-Aerial-Antenna-Brand-New-/400184818649?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2cdfbbd9

I'd bite his arm off.

The BMW one is probably amplified like this one but you're still amplifying a weak signal imho. I'm not saying that this will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amplified-Shark-Fin-Aerial-Universal-Car-Van-Antenna-/300398421090?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f1242462

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)

This is the item that you need to fix it if it is the only worn component. I'd take out the old unit and examine it carefully first though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO-UK-SPEC-93-96-AERIAL-MAST-/250817924485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a65e9cd85

This is the whole unit...though says UK spec' but check part numbers. You're not going to buy it anyway but as an example of cost compared to your local Halford's or motor factor...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO-UK-SPEC-1993-1996-AERIAL-/360365837569?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e77a4d01

What Morpheus said about the aerial length is partly true. For a given carrier wavelength or frequency (e.g. approx 100MHz for UK FM broadcasts), there will be an optimum aerial length: having a huge whipcord aerial like a CB aerial wouldn't give you any noticeable benefit from a more modest length. I don't know how the BMW shark fin aerial works. Maybe the visible shark fin is just the tip of the aerial, with extra hidden length within the tailgate or something.

To the OP: I think you need to decide whether you're happy with the stock look or not. If not, by all means go for a shorter aerial but be prepared for a drop in reception quality. Otherwise, ask Toyota/keron/Steve Manley how much they want for a replacement mast (you don't need the motor, just the mast!). I thought Toyota wanted about £30-40 for a new one a few years ago, so Morpheus's £60 sounds about right if a little high. It saves spending £30+ on non-mkiv parts that may or may not fit, and may or may not work.

I thought Toyota wanted about £30-40 for a new one a few years ago, so Morpheus's £60 sounds about right if a little high. It saves spending £30+ on non-mkiv parts that may or may not fit, and may or may not work.

£53.66 from this particular dealer...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-TOYOTA-SUPRA-TURBO-UK-SPEC-93-96-AERIAL-MAST-/250817924485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a65e9cd85