The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A supra intake idea.....

Migs

Lol...did u guys see my image. Yet again the electric supercharger is not restricting the airflow, due to the twin pipe. The supercharger is only adding more air in to the engine especially at stand by..the idea is for better airflow......yes I do know electric superchargers are $#@!, dose not have the power and restricts the air flow. As I said it's an idea.. The only way to prove this is to try it, as I don't think it's been done, I def don't think it will make a difference bhp, but should provide...hopefully... A better take off.....

So you're planning to use an 'electric supercharger' to pressurise the air in the intake, then down downstream of this 'pressurised air' you are going to have a hole where the air filter is?

To illustrate the point in the simplest way I can think of, get a balloon, inflate it, there is now pressurised air inside the balloon, take a pin and stick the pointy end of the pin through the balloon, is there still pressurised air in the balloon? What you are proposing is like trying to blow up a balloon with a hole in it.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Ok. Cool......but I will definitely add the induction with cold air feed.

Now that's a better idea. I recently built a cold air chamber for mine, and although it doesnt seem to have given any power improvement, it's eliminated the power dropoff when running hot I was getting.

i had a plan one of making a kers type system to eliminate lag once. it would involve a 240v inverter a 240v motor and some pullys , short burst of power low down to help pull up onto boost . was a nice thaught but i donyt think i could ever make it work so i canned the idea

Inverter is not the way forward....

There are plenty of conversion losses using something like that, you are better off with a high voltage alternator charging up a battery pack...

And I completely missed the point that others have raised, as I assumed there was a valve to block the airfilter, serves me right for not looking at the diagram properly.... indeed if the air filter is still in the circuit the excess pressure will just vent straight out :)

how come? out of curiosity. So far it's pretty much tried and tested that the stock airbox is best, even on stock TT engines.

Marc, I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I have no figures to back me up. When I had my induction arm and filter replacement, the suction increased massively, and I can only assume that helped. I had the manifold and exhaust fitted at the same time though, so there's no way to tell which of the 3 items got me up to 246bhp and in which ratio.

Marc, I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I have no figures to back me up. When I had my induction arm and filter replacement, the suction increased massively, and I can only assume that helped. I had the manifold and exhaust fitted at the same time though, so there's no way to tell which of the 3 items got me up to 246bhp and in which ratio.

Was the 246hp measured on a dyno with the bonnet up and a huge fan blowing air at the front of the car dissipating any hot air generated by the engine?

Because with out the knowledge ,when bought the car I added induction kit, and got rid of the stock box....bad habit....lol....

So now it's enjoying all the hot air from the engine ,but I tell u the sound from it was def with it. So adding cold air feed would be better than how it is at the moment...

Because with out the knowledge ,when bought the car I added induction kit, and got rid of the stock box....bad habit....lol....

So now it's enjoying all the hot air from the engine ,but I tell u the sound from it was def with it. So adding cold air feed would be better than how it is at the moment...

dude if its about sound you want then get the electric charger with one of those built in BOVs. it doesnt seem you have performance in mind if your swap sound for super hot thin air :) do what makes u happy, dyno before and after and post ur results if u think its a definitely gain. just be warned if u loose power u might get flamed :D

As said before the electric air pump would restrict the cars flow,unless it was huge and ran off its own batteries and a bit more than 12v.Why not fit a petrol leaf blower in the boot with the air feed going to the intake and its own throttle and fuel tank.Link the throttle to that of the engine job done .

Guest MrRob

Would be interesting to get some figures for airflow rates (Cfm's?) of one of these electric Superchargers in comparison to a single turbo converted Supra just to see how far out they are and to put the issue to bed, I cant remember what the typical rpm of the blades are in a turbo but I dont think 60,000 rpm on boost is a bad guess???

I have to be honest I looked into these for my N/A Supra but failed to see as you say how a 12v electric motor/fan could be effective enough to pressurise the inlet manifold on WOT on a 3.0 straight 6 .

My N/A has a huge cone filter sucking in all the hot air from under bonnet, and whilst it sounds good I'm going to source a standard airbox, performance panel fiter, improve cold/Ram air flow to it and lag the intake pipes with some handy stuff I use in work.