The mkiv Supra Owners Club

idle problem-might get rid of my supra!

Parry_10

come to think of it iirc 51 is linked to the tps, has anyone adjusted this at all to try and mask a fault previously. Check to see if where its retaining bolts are there are older marks which will show it has been moved, there is no reason to move it really unless someone has played with it. With it in the wrong position the ecu will hold the revs up.

I dont think it has been adjusted as the idle used to be fine... where is the tps located? isnt there two of them? im thinking I should change that or the coolant temp sensor not sure what one its most likely to be, also does anyone know where this breather valve is? if i pull the hose off that and the revs dont rise I guess that could be the fault..

You have no need to start randomly searching mate, you have a fault code which leads to the tps, icv. You say you have checked the icv so got to the tps. Its attached to the throttle body it will be on the end of the shaft for the butterfly. You will need a multi meter and check that its working within its correct range.

Rather than jumping at each thing work through them one by one, and rule them out. This is the easiest and most practical thing to do.

already tried spraying brake cleaner on all the hoses when engine is running no rev increase, also the car is using too much fuel, fitted a new o2 sensor so it cant be that(fitted new o2 sensor after the idling problem started

OEM Toyota oxygen sensor?

Are Skylines ITBs? So if it's the shaft that leaks on them they'd be suffering boost leaks too? Feckin Taxis ;)

The leak is caused by the butterflies wearing the bore they seal in over the years that stays the correct size due to a build up of dirt/crud/carbonized oil etc, any TB thats used will wear out eventually.

Could be the ecu receives an A/C "ON" signal once warm and it raises the idle speed. There really are so many things it could be, but if you have cleaned the throttle body, fitted a new ICV and set up the TPS sensor properly it could get complex. Be glad it's not a Cadillac, just imagine trying to trace this absolute gem of a fault :)

The icv isnt new i stripped and cleaned it and when i took it back off the day after its position had changed so im guessing its working, im going to get the engine upto temp today and remove the tps sensor plug and if nothing happens i guess the tps sensor is the fault or if the revs rise then the tps sensor is fine so ive been told also going to try and measure the ohms of the temp sensor

What I would do, bearing in mind I am electronically illiterate, is to try turning the A/C on when it's idling fast, and see if idles faster still. If it doesn't it may suggest that for some reason the ecu thinks the A/C is coming on when it warms up. If the gas pressure in the system is marginal it may expand enough with engine rad fan heat to trigger the A/C clutch, assuming there's not enough gas charge to work from cold. Does the A/C work properly?

just got the engine upto temp took it out for 15 minute drive came back idling at 1600rpm so whilst it was still running i disconnected the tps sensor plug and the idle bounces between 1400-1600 rpm so i guess that mean the tps sensor is working? also I took a reading from the ox1 port and it was 1v so the car is majorly overfueling im thinking coolant temp sensor now....

• 2 weeks later...