The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running on 15" drag wheels, MT radials all the time......

Jamesy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys, in terms of getting some MT radials to fit a 18" rim couple of question... I'm looking on the MT website, most of th Streets only come in 15,16,17 sizes, but there are a section called Street Radial II (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII). Are these legal for our roads?

What about the 26x12.5 one? http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII&sku=3784R&size=P315/30R18&type=SS

I'm just thinking ahead for my next change of tyres and wondering if something like this would give improved grip over the R888s. Is it suitable for a street car?

Guys, in terms of getting some MT radials to fit a 18" rim couple of question... I'm looking on the MT website, most of th Streets only come in 15,16,17 sizes, but there are a section called Street Radial II (http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII). Are these legal for our roads?

What about the 26x12.5 one? http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII&sku=3784R&size=P315/30R18&type=SS

I'm just thinking ahead for my next change of tyres and wondering if something like this would give improved grip over the R888s. Is it suitable for a street car?

A traffic cop came in once and saw my drag radials, he commented that he hoped I was not going to use them on the road, he said they were not legal and had never heard of Mickey Thompson !!!! I said I didnt care who had or not heard of and showed him the DOT marking, he conceded that they MAY be legal but if he caught me using them in the winter on wet roads he was sure he would get a conviction for being in a dangerous condition. We didn't part as friends !!!!!!!!

A traffic cop came in once and saw my drag radials, he commented that he hoped I was not going to use them on the road, he said they were not legal and had never heard of Mickey Thompson !!!! I said I didnt care who had or not heard of and showed him the DOT marking, he conceded that they MAY be legal but if he caught me using them in the winter on wet roads he was sure he would get a conviction for being in a dangerous condition. We didn't part as friends !!!!!!!!

That's cool, I don't use my car when it's wet anyways, so they're technically legal, but obviously need the same common sense that running R888's needs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
you need 7.5 inch ,if you have not got that , that mybe the problem you are having fitting them. the wheels you got were from a wide boby supra, mybe not a 7.5 inch back space.

No mine are for a stock body supra, it was not a back space issue as they rubbed both sides unless it was jacked up very high then the geo was miles out and it drove terrible, 26" tyres are a simple fit.

275/60/15 is a good size, you dont need much width for these to hook up, I'll stick with the 325's as i like to be a hero, they fit the radius of the arch perfect.

When looking at the Weld alloys it mentions "backspace" and "bolt pattern" - what are the best sizes to put in for a decent Supra fitment? and is a 15x10 the best size wheel?

LA racing mentioned the 5x4.75 is the correct bolt pattern but he said to check the backspace on here...?

muchos :)

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)

7.5 back space works great ,but you will have to roll the arch, an 8'' back space would also be good , and I think that you would get away with out rolling the arch , when using a 295 tyre. I have been running drag wheels for about 4 trips out and about , and I do not like the way the car feels, good on a straight road . but shit on the bends. I find that the drag wheels just slows me down.

7.5 back space works great ,but you will have to roll the arch, an 8'' back space would also be good , and I think that you would get away with out rolling the arch , when using a 295 tyre. I have been running drag wheels for about 4 trips out and about , and I do not like the way the car feels, good on a straight road . but shit on the bends. I find that the drag wheels just slows me down.

They arent meant for corners !!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't find many of those on a drag strip:p

What pressure are you running on the street?

I am running 25 psi , I know that I should not run it with the drag wheels, on the street but its a lot of work changing over to my 18''. As it is still my runner round car, if I need to go to the shops . I will change back after the summer time .

If you get prepared i'm sure you could change each wheel in less than 15 min, thats half an hours job!

I'm sure if things go wrong your'll wish you had changed to road tyres.

Perhaps a bit less pressure would also help if you do decide to use them on the road.

I've used these for a while and they can be ok in the dry but i've never dared try them in the wet or even damp conditions.

7.5 back space works great ,but you will have to roll the arch, an 8'' back space would also be good , and I think that you would get away with out rolling the arch , when using a 295 tyre. I have been running drag wheels for about 4 trips out and about , and I do not like the way the car feels, good on a straight road . but $#@! on the bends. I find that the drag wheels just slows me down.

Thanx mate. So 7.5 will still give it an aggressive stance but will allow the 295 28" tyres without rubbing?

Did u use 5x4.5 or 5x4.75? I've been told both!!

Check this thread mate, loads of info on various drag wheel setups, question is are you going to use them on the drag strip or is this just for posing on the street?;)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?324616-Drag-Wheel-Tire-Setup-Thread-*PICS*

Thanx mate will have a read. Plan on using for both street and strip mate with the low mileage i currently do :)

Edited by Jamesy (see edit history)