The mkiv Supra Owners Club

95 octane in n/a?

Scutch0

Why not Rob?

To clarify, you can get away with using 95 in a TT (BPU or otherwise) at this time of year and any time not on boost. If you are commuting in traffic etc and never open it up its going to be ok. Few times i did the same when mine was BPU, as long as you remember.

IF you cant trust yourself, or if you need/want to boot it/race/trackday then 95 is a bad idea.

95 RON is fine for an N/A with ignition timing @ 12o BTDC.

I am running my N/A on 99 RON with ignition timing @ 19o BTDC.

Fuel octane/RON is an equasion with ignition timing.

To use higher octane with the engine tuned for lower octane will give no advantage, as it is the advanced timing that gives the extra power, not the fuel.

To use lower octane in a engine with ignition timing tuned for higher octane will cause problems with detonation, not serious in the short term with N/A engines, but can destroy a forced induction engine during one 'pull'.

ive had my car for 6 plus years and always use 95 ron never a problem

Unlikely to cause any problems, as i said earlier, however on a TT i don't know what the scope of the default knock map is, so if running BPU and knock was detected using 95ron, i don't know if the knock map would be able to retard enough to stop damage.

However if you add a piggyback or stand alone N/A or BPU/single TT can be mapped for any octane you desire.

To clarify, you can get away with using 95 in a TT (BPU or otherwise) at this time of year and any time not on boost. If you are commuting in traffic etc and never open it up its going to be ok. Few times i did the same when mine was BPU, as long as you remember.

IF you cant trust yourself, or if you need/want to boot it/race/trackday then 95 is a bad idea.

Cheer chap :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late post and the fact that I may not make sense due to the excessive comsumption of alcohol.Ran my N/A for the first year of ownership on v power.Noticed an improvment in power.Ran for the second year on normal unleaded noticed no problems but not the same when hoofing it.It's a jspec and was used to 100 ron in japan.Previous owner ran it on general unleaded.No problems whatever you use long term on an N/A.

I ran it in my NA and it was fine. Used it in the TT VVTI and it's also fine. Just filled up with BP Ultimate (£1.29) and runs the same, though will see what difference it makes to mileage later. Facelift Supras don't have the twin digital trip counters btw. Bad Toyota! :spank:

The problem is, when you fill the tank, it weighs so much that you lose what seems like 30% on your NA acceleration so unless you keep the tank empty you're not going to feel the difference but I could rev' the pants off my NA without issue on standard 95 RON premium unleaded. Really miss second gear in that car. :)

Edited by Morpheus (see edit history)