The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra snow - 1wheel spinning even though other on pavement??

gazzi123

CanisLpus has the right idea, try pulling the handbrake on a few notches, this will add a torque loading to the spinning wheel and your open (none LSD) diff will transfer some torque. My tractor allows me to independently brake each back wheel as it's a base model without a driver operated fully lockable diff. Whilst not as good as a locked diff it helps a LOT if traction is bad. You can tell Canis is used to driving on snow :)

Has the same effect with LSD also though, doesn't it Chris?

Well thanks guys this has also answerd my problem, since i rolled my car it ripped the drivers hub off so obviously the driveshaft wasent connected to anything at the hub end.

When i finally felt better i started it up to test engine - gearbox - clutch to make sure it was all in working order for my new shell.

When i got it running and put it in the first the driveshaft that was broke was just spinning and the other wheel was doing nothing and yes mine is A01B so LSD, and also when out of gear and clutch pedal up it was still spinning.

But then i remembered if you jack a car up in nautral it will always spin a wheel, so even if you have LSD and 1 wheel on grass and other on tarmac you will still spin the wheel with less grip.

Race set ups usually have hefty preload. I could drive my Skyline for miles with only one driveshaft installed as the LSD preload is more than enough to overcome rolling and aero frictions. You'll see F1 cars driving with a rear off the ground after accidents or punctures. Some race cars, including many high end drag cars have a spool diff where both rear wheels are driven 100%. If the spool breaks ALL torque goes to one wheel and very nasty things happen. Some Group C circuit race cars ran spools, mainly Porsches.

CanisLpus has the right idea, try pulling the handbrake on a few notches, this will add a torque loading to the spinning wheel and your open (none LSD) diff will transfer some torque. My tractor allows me to independently brake each back wheel as it's a base model without a driver operated fully lockable diff. Whilst not as good as a locked diff it helps a LOT if traction is bad. You can tell Canis is used to driving on snow :)

Good tip, thanks Chris :thumbs:

I hate driving my NA with an open diff in the snow, my old single (with LSD) was far easier!

Chris, are spools not just a lock up disc fixed in the diff? same sort of thing as welding a diff up? i hear it mentioned a lot in drag racing.

The drive shafts are effectively just bolted to the crown wheel. Welding a diff has the same effect, but a spool has no sun and planetary gears in it.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mx5mania.com/images/product_pics/1524/medium/spool.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.mx5mania.com/product1524.htm&h=300&w=400&sz=82&tbnid=SX6MbqhrmUH1OM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522spool%2Bdiff%2522&zoom=1&q=%22spool+diff%22&hl=en&usg=__Sutf5_1HVM7iKAyxUQ9iNT_rOoc=&sa=X&ei=G3YQTeLRJ8O7hAfd_Im3Dg&ved=0CCMQ9QEwAQ

I think most Australian Touring Cars use a spool diff. which probably explains why their preferred cornering style is tail out. You need a car with suspension set up optimised to use a spool effectively, and a car with lots of power, if you intend to use one for other than drag racing. Manoeuvring in tight spaces will be an issue....

well now I’m confused, this happened once to me and i think i have LSD.

i have tried the burnout method to confirm if i have LSD, and both rear wheels did leave a big mark of rubber!

now do i have LSD or not??

Yes! with LSD the more torque applied to the drive shaft, the more lock up force is applied to locking up the diff, so on a dry surface with equal amount of grip for each wheel it will allow you to spin up both wheels, if you try the same with an open diff, only one wheel will spin up.

I had all these lovely problems last year, but since changing to the Falken 452s, I've been able to drive relatively normally, which is a delight. I just try to avoid roads with sheet ice at the junctions, as that isn't much fun at all!

Mine's a 1993 GZ TT, so should have an LSD as standard, etc.

CanisLpus has the right idea, try pulling the handbrake on a few notches, this will add a torque loading to the spinning wheel and your open (none LSD) diff will transfer some torque.

Silly question, would applying a tiny amount of left-foot braking to a FWD car with an open diff have a similar effect?

Yes, but with the footbrake you are of course also putting the back brakes on as well, so whether the added traction from the front wheels overcomes the added drag from the back is anyone's guess :) When I was young naive tasteless and foolish I liked American cars and had an Oldsmobile Toronado. 7 odd litre front wheel drive automatic, but it was brilliant in the snow. The vast weight up front must have been the key, with modest, compared to nowadays, section tyres with tall sidewalls. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

Yes! with LSD the more torque applied to the drive shaft, the more lock up force is applied to locking up the diff, so on a dry surface with equal amount of grip for each wheel it will allow you to spin up both wheels, if you try the same with an open diff, only one wheel will spin up.

thanks.

;)