The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track Day - Rockingham Speedway 14th March

Branners

• 1 month later...

Just to let everybody know, Rockingham is a great circuit. Nice and open, quite a bit of run-off where needed and the surface seemed exceptional. It was good to drive an import auto again (Matts car) and I think we showed the Supra isnt just a barge out for a sail...

If anybody gets a chance to run at Rockingham do give it a go.

Good to meet you too Dave, and ZXSpectrum.

JB

Had a great time despite blowing the crank oil seal..........

Nice to meet you Dave and ZX , glad you enjoyed the ride!

The track was great as John said , and the car behaved nicely on slicks and CWs pads

img_2385.jpg

Peter, me and Matt didnt see any of the Elise and Skyline guys kick off, what was their problem? I know some of the Elises were taking their time to get out the way (a huge pink object coming up behind them made them get out the way quick enough though :) (its not pink, its raspberry) ). Were they holding up the skylines or did a few skylines cut up the inside a few times or something?

Have you used Easytrack before? Was the lack of organisation at the start normal?

JB

John,

Not sure really other than a couple of them complained to ET that they were being hassled by some of our guys and a couple of perhaps forced overtaking manoeuvres were made when cars simply refused to give way to a patently obviously faster car/driver. ET did have a chat to us but they have since apologised having realised that the blame perhaps lay elsewhere. I think a couple even thought they'd have a few words direct which perhaps wasn't the best decision they made on Friday. ;)

By mistake, I ended up going out in a beginners session just prior to lunch and couldn't believe the arrogance of some drivers who took at least a whole lap to realise that me sitting on their arse the whole way round meant that perhaps I was a touch faster than them.

I've done numerous days (15+) with ET and can say that they are first class. It seems to me that the initial disorganisation on Friday was as a result of a number of things including us lot turning up late. This fragmented the familiarisation sessions as once briefing is over, they want to get everybody out on track as soon as possible. That and the change in sessions did cause some problems but I hope it didn't dtract too much from the day overall which we all enjoyed very much.

I'll let you know of any other days we get sorted out one of which will almost certainly be a weekend date at Rockingham with official timing, etc. which I'm sure will require other marques to be in attendance to make it viable....

Roll on the next one.

Peter.

Edit: btw meant to say that I'm sure not all our guys were whiter than white here but we didn't go bleating on did we.

Originally posted by PeterE

Matt, did you get home OK?

Peter.

Yes I managed to limp home , dtopping frequently to top up the oil:innocent:

Thanks for stopping on that dodgy bit of the A14 ... much appreciated:thumbs:

Thanks for letting the soop in with you're lot , I had a great time

Matt did seem patient but some of the caterhams in our session did seem to take ages to let us by. Matt waited and went by when they indicated. Very gentlemanly but I cannot imagine everyone doing as it was a bit poor. I went out with Talat (similar experience to me so I can imagine how he felt) and he was constantly watching his mirrors and kept letting people by.

Shame everyone else did not do the same (some elises and caterhams).

Sorry I did not get to go out with you Peter:(

you got home ok. glad you had a great day and you displayed very good track manners whereever you went.

the Supe was running well and boosting hard and have some good footage of her coming along the wall and straight. she certainly grips well on those slicks and I think we all susprised (and pissed off) the lotus and other usual track day nobbos with the pace of the jap buses.

Only had a few slow lotuses in the way but like you say a large jap projectile filling their mirrors soon sorts them out!!

As for that comment about rockers by someone on here being mickey mouse on the in field, have you ever been on the track mate? the infield was awesome, with some great 2nd gear and 3rd gear sweepers....got the gtr drifting through a few of them!!

and all that nonsense about the wall is just idiotic talk. you would have to be a total retard to go into the wall as the track is like 50 yards wide or more and you can gently drift out towards it with loads to spare. we were hitting 135 sometime 140 down there with lots to spare.

you should drive it instead of stating what other people do not know!!

best track I have ever been on as still very new, not dirty, no stones all over the place wrecking the front of the car, lots of run off, even at the end of the straight, if you outbreaked yrself you could go straight on so no dramas.

hope you can join us on some more days matt...we are looking at doing Brands full GP in may so keep yr eyes peeled on GTR.co.uk

Nick