The mkiv Supra Owners Club

621bhp and 587lbft at SRR - Cast Manifold T67DBB

dandan

Great stuff Dan! Congratulations! :thumbs:

Id forget cams personally and get a better ECU, that should see you get even more horses :)

I don't think there is anything to gain in the ECU as I have a Syvecs which already has extremely precise and fast control of the fuelling, ignition timing, and boost solenoid duty cycle. It also has very fast and sensitive knock sensing and closed loop feedback to the individual cylinder ignition timing. I'm 100% happy with the ECU and its capabilities and I reckon I'll be even more happy once I get my head around the logging functions.

Perhaps he means upgrading to a Life ECU? :whistle::taped:

Great stuff Dan! Congratulations! :thumbs:

Perhaps he means upgrading to a Life ECU? :whistle::taped:

After talking with Ryan im pretty sure the Life per say offers no advantage, hence I will be using a Syvecs and picking Ryans brains to get the car set up, Ryan is trying to sort a bit of wizardry so we can use the nitrous in the launch and on the run.;)

better ECU?

I don't think there is anything to gain in the ECU as I have a Syvecs which already has extremely precise and fast control of the fuelling, ignition timing, and boost solenoid duty cycle. It also has very fast and sensitive knock sensing and closed loop feedback to the individual cylinder ignition timing. I'm 100% happy with the ECU and its capabilities and I reckon I'll be even more happy once I get my head around the logging functions.

I heartily appologise fellas, Im sure I read Dan had an EMU fitted, which I took to be an Emanage, but that turns out to be a completely different thread lol

Edited by Swampy442 (see edit history)

Nice result Dan, is that a UK cast manifold record?

A set of 264/264 HKS cams will net you approx 50hp, well they did on mine and that was at only 510hp, it jumped to 560hp ish if I remember correctly, but it did shift the whole power band over to the right, I would leave it as is :thumbs:

It probably is Wes, I think your car was probably the most powerful up until now with a cast manifold. I know it can make more at the same boost with a few tweaks here and there so there's potential left in it still. The key is in the EGTs and managing the back pressure to keep it all flowing freely.

I've been hunting around for other dyno plots with the 67DBB on stock cams and the only one I have found making more power (on any manifold) was Jamie's 630bhp run but that was at 1.8bar and also with the Greddy intake. If I'd have thought about it a little more yesterday (and not been as concerned about having any problems so far from home) I'd have asked Ryan to bump it to 1.8bar so I could compare the curve to Jamie's. I had plenty headroom left on the injectors and everything else was fine but we were also a little short on time so we wrapped it up at 1.7bar. There's always next time I suppose but to be honest - I was more than happy with what we achieved yesterday anyway. I definitely need more tyre on the rears now! :)

I would like to try some cams just for interest sake as I am intrigued with the cast manifold setup I have and would like to see how far it can be pushed without any meaningful restriction compared to the tubular alternatives. If it nets anything like the same gains as you then we’d be throwing some very interesting numbers around! But like I mentioned, I love the driving characteristics of the stock cams and am happy keeping the revs down a little as I don't want any disagreements with my rod bolts anywhere down the line. :D I will probably succumb to the power bug eventually and stick some other cams in once I have my head around the manifold pressure relationships a little better but the Greddy intake will most likely come first.

Nice result that - bet it's nice to drive! :thumbs:

Thanks mate, it really does drive great and it can be sedate and quiet or violent and loud depending on the boost and exhaust valve settings.

I heartily appologise fellas, Im sure I read Dan had an EMU fitted, which I took to be an Emanage, but that turns out to be a completely different thread lol

No problem at all mate :thumbs:

What exhaust manifold pressures V boost pressures were you seeing Dan? Did you log them? Glad it's all working well for you, a nice build you did there :)

Thanks Chris. At first we didn't think my sensor was working so we gave up with it and didn't pay any attention to that parameter. As it happens it was actually working but when we were trying to get some readings there was no real pressure so the signal was lost in the noise. Duh!

After we finished all the mapping and reviewing a couple of logs Ryan noticed that it had been reading and logging the whole time which was good news. He's sending the logs over for me to have a look at so I will keep you posted.....

Mine made 625bhp when I had my Arnout cast manifold. That was with a T67DBB with .68 exhaust housing, standard intake. I can't remember the boost level now, think it was 1.6BAR. It was on Owen development's dyno though, which I think may read a bit high compared to SRR.

Nice result btw!

Oh, I had 264 ex and 256 in HKS cams incidentally.