The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drivetrain noise after TRD tranny mount

jevansio

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was still in place

Back end up, unbolt stick shifter from above, unbolt cradle from below, unbolt tranny support and take weight with jack, lower jack until top cradle bolt can be removed, pull cradle out, reverse process :)

If that was your process, then it wouldn't be as a result of removing the rear mounts.

The box bolts up to the engine via the bolts at the bell housing. When you're fitting / removing the engine and gearbox, it's only hanging via those bolts, what you've done is no different.

I imagine it's just a gearbox vibration no longer being damped by the mounts now that you've fitted solid metal ones.

I had no exhaust or prop on if that makes a difference.

Not really, it's the top cradle bolt that was the problem, it's very long and needs a lot of room to be pulled out, on mine that meant unbolting the mount (which I had to do anyway as I was installing a TRD mount) and lowering the gearbox slightly until there was enough room to totally remove the bolt.

If that was your process, then it wouldn't be as a result of removing the rear mounts.

The box bolts up to the engine via the bolts at the bell housing. When you're fitting / removing the engine and gearbox, it's only hanging via those bolts, what you've done is no different.

I imagine it's just a gearbox vibration no longer being damped by the mounts now that you've fitted solid metal ones.

Yip that was the process, thanks for confirming I've done nothing silly.

The TRD mounts aren't solid, just stiffer, but I guess they're enough to start transferring more noise.

i have a clattering noise coming from my gearbox too. i also have the trd gearbox mounts and a RPS flywheel. mine was quite before i put them on the car. If u put yours in 5th gear at about 50 mph and then accelrate does it make a nasty noise.

Yes, 45mph.

Cheers Gavin, I'd appreciate if you could let me know if it solves it :)

I also got a sound clip for you guys. It's taken from my iphone so you'll need Quicktime to listen, I will get it converted if this is a problem as I'd really like for someone to hear the noise to help find what it is.

Link to file : http://www.imotors.co.uk/temp/jay/SupraTrannyNoise.m4a

Basically I'm sat in neutral, I dip the clutch then release quickly, I get a slap then a grumble (no my lass isn't in the passener seat :p), I do this twice

The grumble isnt confined to 1.5-2k rpm either, but it's loudest at those rpms

I do have the feeling this noise has been there for a long time (inc the slap & the grumble) I've obviously just avoided the slap until now by not snapping the clutch back on,

I've got a dyno tune coming up, part of me is telling me to get a clutch change set ordered and put on before the tune (prolly change the plate if I'm going to that extent too) incase it is a problem, what do you think?

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

I have been searching on SF and it is apparently quite common with the TRD mount, people complaining who have dual mass stock flywheels, they have even put the old mount back on they were unhappy with the noise. A lightweight flywheel adds even more noise ontop of that

Strange, we sell and fit loads of them and never had anyone mention this before.

That is strange, saying that Ken Henderson states that his has no additional noise when lots are saying there is extra noise, so not everyone is getting the noise, he does appear to be in the minority though

Who on here runs the TRD tranny mount? Also which flywheel?

That is strange, saying that Ken Henderson states that his has no additional noise when lots are saying there is extra noise, so not everyone is getting the noise, he does appear to be in the minority though

Who on here runs the TRD tranny mount? Also which flywheel?

I have one but mines all stripped out so its very noisy anyway!

Put your old mount back on just to eliminate everything else as a problem. That'll give you piece of mind then at least that it's nothing new.

I will, but just not this weekend, fed up of being laid on my back under the car for the minute, been under/inside it most of the last 2 weekends

Cheers Gavin, I'd appreciate if you could let me know if it solves it :)

I also got a sound clip for you guys. It's taken from my iphone so you'll need Quicktime to listen, I will get it converted if this is a problem as I'd really like for someone to hear the noise to help find what it is.

Link to file : http://www.imotors.co.uk/temp/jay/SupraTrannyNoise.m4a

Basically I'm sat in neutral, I dip the clutch then release quickly, I get a slap then a grumble (no my lass isn't in the passener seat :p), I do this twice

The grumble isnt confined to 1.5-2k rpm either, but it's loudest at those rpms

I do have the feeling this noise has been there for a long time (inc the slap & the grumble) I've obviously just avoided the slap until now by not snapping the clutch back on,

I've got a dyno tune coming up, part of me is telling me to get a clutch change set ordered and put on before the tune (prolly change the plate if I'm going to that extent too) incase it is a problem, what do you think?

This is what mine sounds like when going along. Mine sound kind of the same as your at idle. but mine is a constant clang when warm nothing when cold. I going to change clutch flywheel thrust and pivot bearing in a couple of weeks. if it solves it i will let u know but to be honest i think my problem might be one of the bearings in the gearbox.

At the moment i have the same RPS flywheel as you with a RPS street max clutch that is rubbish and the TRD mount. Will get it on the ramp and let you know ASAP

• 1 year later...