The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drivetrain noise after TRD tranny mount

jevansio

Today I fitted the TRD solid tranny mount and the solid AP shifter cradle mounts.

Everything went as planned, but when I went for a test drive the transmission noise was very loud compared to normal.

The noise isn't a new noise but a massive amplification of the existing transmission noises.

Pushing the clutch in totally gets rid of the noise. It's a bit like a bearing noise/the noise of gears but pretty loud.

1) To fit all these I undid the old mounts and to get the AP bushes in let the transmission fall as low as the engine would allow to get the top cradle bolt out (ie under it's own weight). Would this be have contributed to the noise (ie bad installation practice).

2) As the noise is only when the clutch is not pressed, does this sound like a release bearing problem?

I will try to get a video, but initally I'm hoping you guys can give me confirmation that the noise isn't caused by bad installation by me, and is more likely a noise that was always there and is now amplified by the solid mounts.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it at all revs Jay ??

No, it's only really low revs. When I used to pull away there was this noise from the drivetrain, I put it down to the lightweight flywheel. Now its pretty loud (enough to make people think there's something wrong - from inside the car), but outside it sounds totally normal my mates say

Due to your new mounts being much stiffer with less give, they will create more noise due to them not absorbing smaller vibrations as well as the softer bushes.

So you think me dropping the gearbox down without it's mounts (ie hanging off the engine only) is not related, and the noise is more likely related to the solid mounts?

So you think me dropping the gearbox down without it's mounts (ie hanging off the engine only) is not related, and the noise is more likely related to the solid mounts?

I've read this before mate, a knackered stock flywheel that rattled on a members car before he changed the mounts to TRD, was exagerrated and made louder by the new stiffer mounts.

I've read this before mate, a knackered stock flywheel that rattled on a members car before he changed the mounts to TRD, was exagerrated and made louder by the new stiffer mounts.

My flywheel is an RPS syn-r-gee unit, is it recommend to have the transmission removed and everything checked?

My thoughts were on the flywheel too.

Specially as you say it's really pronounced at low revs.

When engine revs rise the exhaust is too loud to hear if it goes away completely, but there is a sweet spot (or should I say sour) at around 1.5-2k rpm when the noise is loud then goes away (as the exhuast note picks up then drowns everything out)

Sorry just re-read your original post, is it a whining noise or a clattering?

It's not a whine, or a clatter, it's hard to describe, sounds like a noisy bearing, or like gears meshing with each only, only REALLY loud

Just for future reference jay these gear shift bushes can be done without dropping the gearbox mount down. I removed and replaced the shifter cradle without undoing the gearbox mounts at all.

The bolt that goes through the top cradle mount had no room to be removed without lowering the box, it hit straight onto the inside of the transmission tunnel, I'd be interested in knowing how to remove it without dropping the box though

PS, you see my post on the old shifter you gave me? It's a lot shorted than a facelift car

My flywheel is an RPS syn-r-gee unit, is it recommend to have the transmission removed and everything checked?

No mate, I'm not saying your flywheel is knackered, I'm using the other members post as an example. Lightweight flywheels are notoriously noisy, no doubt yours is the same. Stiffer engine mounts will make them sound louder.

The bolt that goes through the top cradle mount had no room to be removed without lowering the box, it hit straight onto the inside of the transmission tunnel, I'd be interested in knowing how to remove it without dropping the box though

PS, you see my post on the old shifter you gave me? It's a lot shorted than a facelift car

Yeah I as that that mate. Has it made the throw any better/shorter.

No mate, I'm not saying your flywheel is knackered, I'm using the other members post as an example. Lightweight flywheels are notoriously noisy, no doubt yours is the same. Stiffer engine mounts will make them sound louder.

Ahh right. It's embarrasingly loud though :(

I've have it upto 5k rpm and everything seems normal, just the annoying noise at 2k