The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil in 6th piston - help pls

PDowdy

Hi guys - I'm in serious need of some advice, all help greatly appreciated. Let me give you the full history.

About 3 months ago my radiator blew in my 95 j-spec TT auto. Never got to the bottom of why but replaced with a new alloy one and relocated into a dedicated oil cooler. Never had any more heat problems before or after - but when it blew the engine temp was off the scale for about 5-10mins (was stuck on motorway when it happened).

3 months on and a slow drip leak from the oil filter meant I was changed the oil last weekend. Couldn't get the filter off originally and needed it to be running, so just changed the oil n left the old filter. 3 days later and big vibrations at idle on way home from work, next morning wouldn't start. Checked and big pool of oil under the car. Replaced the filter, cleaned all the oil and chucked some new oil in... left overnight and no sign of any more leaks.

Today got mate to do a compression test. Took coil packs n sparks out and found the 6th cylinder (nearest to driver) full of water. Drained the radiator and did the compression test. Results below... also appears to now be a trace of water in the oil.

Now we (rather my mate as he's the mechanic!) think its the head gasket. I'm open to other possibilities, has anyone seen anything like this before or had a similar experience ??

Cylinder Dry Wet

1 150 170

2 150 161

3 147 163

4 150 161

5 142 161

6 Didn't try as still had some water in

(the compression meter isn't calibrated so figures may be a little off)

Any ideas ??

hi guys, (it was me who did the compression test)

i dont know much about these engines - is cyl no.6 a common one for the head gasket to go on? and are we likely to be looking at anything else cracked block,,,, head etc:(:(

and what about the fact we have water in the oil aswell is this common??? likley to have happened at the same time??

just weighing up options at the moment any pointers appreciated:cool:

yeah we did but it was still spitting a bit of water... not sure if that screwed the test but it showed 235!!!

Yes it may well of done its gone up quite high,with a crack or blown gasket it usually goes down. If you can get it to a garage they may be able to do a more conclusive test,but either way its off with the head,

we're pritty certain we have a f:taped:k'd engine no. 6 cyl was full of water - its just deciding if its worth paying somone to strip it then finding out it needs a block and a head and it'd have been cheeper just to drop a new engine in and rebuild this one at our lesure when we have the luxury of time to find parts at reasonable prices:)

if it was gonna be a definate headgasket then we could just go down that road but these 2 posts

The MKIV is not known for blowing head gaskets,so it may be more than just a breached gasket

sounds like what happened to mine i thought head gasket turned out to be a cracked block

makes me think were in for more than just a h/g:(

problem is the car is a daily driver and we could do with it back up and running

out of interest anyone know the book hours for getting the head off ?

cheers for the help so far:)

• 1 month later...

eventually got round to getting the head off today! block looks ok but the h/g has a crack in it and it looks like it had delaminated- it's so fine you wouldnt have thought that it would have caused so much water to get in there but as theres no other evident damage it must be that :)

has anyone had a similar experiance with a cracked h/g delaminating like this ??

all in all a good result tho :)

If you have seriously overheated the engine the head will be scrap. Get it checked with a straight edge first or get it to an engineering company to run a clock along the face. If its warped which it probably will be then you'll need another head, you could machine it flat but the cam journals will still be out of line.