The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Police Producer for MOT certificate

BlackWatch66

Right, feel a little silly,

I got pulled over on saturday night, whilst on a date :rolleyes: by some friendly police who told me that their system showed the supe had NO MOT, I was then issued with a 'producer' to show my Drivers liscence, MOT cert, and Insurance documents at the local police station.

I returned home, and checked my MOT certificate, to find it had expired last weekend (7 days exactly). The reason I didn't remember this is that I have just moved house, and it was the last thing on my mind.

I will have the supe tested early this week and return to produce all relevant documents at the police station, including new MOT certificate.

So my question is if the police are likely to be leniant if I show that I have gone to get a new MOT straight away to rectify this and the fact I have just moved house, or if not, what is the likely outcome!!

If anyone has been in this situation then I would appreciate your input !

Many thanks

I think that a letter of mitigation to the Police may help your cause. When you produce the new MOT they will still do you for failing to provide a valid certificate at the time of the offence.

I am not sure what the fines are for having no MOT these days.

H.

I know someone that did exactly that, was a year or so now, He got an mot and went in to own up. They said that he would be reported for the offence and may/may not hear back. He hasn't heard anything since. I'm not sure on what the situation would be now as they seem to have set fines/points in place for some offences so you may just get hit with one of those.

I was caught in the very same situation a few years ago, I reported to the police station and just owned up to the fact that when stopped I didnt have a valid MOT. They said I would either receive a letter saying I had been reported for the offence of driving without an MOT, or, would hear nothing. Luckily for me it was the latter :D

I think you're allowed 10 days after the expiry date too??

I'm sure you're not 'allowed' any days at all, unless you're driving to or from a place where the MOT/repair is being carried out. Most coppers generally file the paperwork dependant on how much of a clown you appear to them, so if you're a reasonable guy who owns up and isn't obviously pulling a fast one they're likely to let you off. My mate's told me 9 times out of 10 he doesn't even check if the person he pulled has produced (as it's up to the officer to check up on it and do the relevant paperwork).

It's been discussed at length on other forums and insurance people confirmed that whilst they can wriggle out of paying everything they will still be liable for 3rd party payment in the event of no RFL and/or no MOT.

There is a lot of scaremongering about it, but it appears to actually be very difficult for an insurance company to negate their 3rd party commitments. As long as the insurance company are still covering 3rd party responsibility then you obviously have insurance and cannot be prosecuted for not having it.