The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clunk from rear when car is on an angle

jevansio

I've been under again with the wheel off, used a crowbar to see if there was any play in any of the suspension components (not sure if this is the correct method but it's all I could think of) or to see if I could reproduce the clunk, but I couldn't.

It's def not the exhaust,

It's always reproduced when I hit my drive at a certain point, it hardly ever comes back on the road (but it does sometimes most when I'm cornering and weight is being shifted), even going over speed bumps doesn't bring it back.

It almost sounds like something clunking from side to sidein the boot (but it aint)

Still would appreciate any tips.

When I was checking for play the only thing that had any movement was the rear subframe to chassis (front) and the diff to subframe (front) where they are rubber mounts. Obviously this is normal, but is there any chance it could be one of those mounts? It sounds like someone gently tapping a hammer against the shell when it happens.

I would say mine definitely isnt an exhaust knock, it sounds like suspension bushes, thats about all i can fathom for now, i'm swapping the shocks at the weekend, so will check all the bushes then. Will post results on on this thread if i get anywhere! The same mechanic mate has just had the same issues on his 2004 M3, that was rear subframe bushes, so he tells me.

Hope you get it bud, I'll obviously be watching with interest :D

Just want to throw this in, about 3 weeks ago I soaked all suspension bolts/nuts/joints etc in wd40 & releasing fluid (I wanted everything freeing up ready for a geometry setup). Is there any chance that this could have had anything to do with the onset of this noise?

Also can someone confirm exactly the process for confirming if any of the bushes are fubarred? ta :)

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

OK more progress:

Back end up again after work I tried a different approach, I got a rubber mallet and tapped all of the suspesnion arms to see if the shock reproduced the clunk. On the upper arms (as Chris said) there is a definate metal on metal sound even with just a light (ish) hammer. Is this a reliable way to determine if suspension bushes are shot?

None of the other arms had this noise, but one of the rods (the one from the back of the hub to the subframe) rubber bush seemed visibly split. I should have taken a photo (will next time). I'm guessing my whole suspension could do with a refresh underneath?

On a different topic, when I had stuff up and was looking for play in things I noticed something unusual (well for me anyway). The car is out of gear, with the handbrake half on (back end up in the air obviously). I tried to rotate the rear wheels left and right and there was a bit play (enough to make a clunk). The half shafts are defo not moving, and the brake discs are turning with the wheel. Is that normal? Is the play in the bearing?

I dunno mate, it's pretty reproducable once I get the angle correct so I guess it's just a case of backing it on & off while someone has a look under, will get Rachel to have a look at the weekend.

I've knocked the old stud out of the suspension and have it here, anyone suggest where I can get a replacement?

Sell The Car ;)

It's the handbrake shoes moving on the backplate, and it's correct and normal. Take the top arm outer ball joint out of the hub and free the top wishbone from outer end constraint. That way it's easy to see if the bearings have gone in the chassis ends. Sounds very much like the top arm wear to me. I may have a good lower toe control arm, would need to check.