The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Crank Main Seal?

CanisLupus

It is done... yesterday 1800 i started the car again everything looks fine no oil loss so far and I've done about 100miles since yesterday ^^

The seal went in with some help of a rubber mallet and is tight and level with the casing of the oil pump so i hope that it will be OK. :D

Thanks for all your help guys!! :)

Glad its sorted, just a couple of words of advice for the safety of your engine, first make sure that your low oil level light is working OK, as should the problem re occur this will at least give you some warning, i fitted a super bright LED to the circuit so i would be guaranteed to notice should it happen again.

Mine failed three times in all, and thanks to the light i stopped the engine before the oil got low enough to cause any harm.

Keep an eye on things when you get the RPM up, as that is when its prone to fail.

Good luck with it:)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad its sorted, just a couple of words of advice for the safety of your engine, first make sure that your low oil level light is working OK, as should the problem re occur this will at least give you some warning, i fitted a super bright LED to the circuit so i would be guaranteed to notice should it happen again.

Mine failed three times in all, and thanks to the light i stopped the engine before the oil got low enough to cause any harm.

Keep an eye on things when you get the RPM up, as that is when its prone to fail.

Good luck with it:)

Thanks i hope it's settled with the seal change for now. :)

The Oil Level Light is working(went on the night i drove the car last time before changing the seal :rolleyes:). But I'm going to get an Oil Pressure Gauge and inspect the area around the seal close more often if there are any signs of loss.

Thank you all again for every hint! :D

Thanks i hope it's settled with the seal change for now. :)

The Oil Level Light is working(went on the night i drove the car last time before changing the seal :rolleyes:). But I'm going to get an Oil Pressure Gauge and inspect the area around the seal close more often if there are any signs of loss.

Thank you all again for every hint! :D

No problem:) one further comment, although fitting an oil pressure gauge is always a good idea, however it will no be of any use should the seal fail again, as by the time you have noticed there is no pressure (no oil) the damage is already done, fit a super bright LED to the low oil light circuit.

Good point. Is there something like an Oil level Gauge?

I Remember some cars had them installed from the factory but is there something aftermarket? Would after all be a good add on i think :)

The Supra has a low oil light as std, its on the upper right of the

dash there is a bank of three, and the oil level light is orange, thats why i asked you if it was working OK.

When you say "level with the casing of the oil pump " is that the casing in this pic and it should be flush with the lip?

I ask because Im doing a water pump cam belt etc swap on mne and Ive got a bit of seepage so might as well do the seal as well.

Yes don't drive the seal any further than the edge that is visible in the pic, or you could end up blocking or partially blocking the drain.

The Supra has a low oil light as std, its on the upper right of the

dash there is a bank of three, and the oil level light is orange, thats why i asked you if it was working OK.

Yep the one with the wave kind of thingy under the oil can. Works fine :)

Still going to attach the LED for peace of mind.

Anything about the aftermarket level Gauge or something?

When you say "level with the casing of the oil pump " is that the casing in this pic and it should be flush with the lip?

I ask because Im doing a water pump cam belt etc swap on mne and Ive got a bit of seepage so might as well do the seal as well.

Here's the pic again i marked the edge i leveled it with :)

Done around 200miles still no leak so i think it was the right surface to level it with :)

Foto483 [1600x1200].jpg

Don't know if there is but i would rearrange the pictures and take some more as I'm going to change the Cam belt also. So i would write a "How to" change FMS thread. What do you think about it? :innocent: