The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Story so far with hub dyno results for BW 91/79

J_Boulton

How do you know what the vvti is doing , is the solenoid controlling oil pressure correctly .

maybe not an mechanical issue but a control issue , perhaps a boost guage in the exhaust manifold and compare intake pressures with exhaust pressures would give a clearer picture of whats happening and explain the spool being slow

Im Not really au fait with the vvti system to be of much help ,,,:search:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's something you would need to take up with HKS Europe. Last time I spoke to them they quoted that their head gasket thicknesses are stated in a compressed state. If it's worth anything, I vaguely remember my micrometer spitting out similar measurement to yours for an N/A head gasket with the TT being around 1.4mm in uncompressed form. I'm more than willing to be proved wrong as that was some time ago and my memory is not what it was.:)

Assuming the stock head gasket is 1mm thick compressed, with an 86 bore and stroke and a prefect 8.5:1 CR the compressed volume required would be 60.663cc.

Keeping the compressed volume the same and increasing the head gasket thickness to 1.2mm would drop the CR to 8.37:1

This also assumes that the hole in the head gasket is 1mm bigger than the bore to allow for alignment tolerances.

From memory a stock TT head combustion chamber volume is around 58 cc? So with a 1.2 mm gasket the CR comes out pretty low. I did a quick calculation using piston volume negative figures as cited by CP and by JE. JE list 2JZ-GTE pistons as having a bigger bowl volume than CP. I have no idea what pistons are in this though.

Personally, from looking at Julian's torque graphs it looks similar to other set ups with this turbo and I guess his and my idea of too much lag aren't the same as others perhaps? Did you have a drive in the thing Lee? What did you think of it?

I didnt drive it, but went in it. There does seem to be very little power low down (off boost) but when it comes in its fine.

The TDI graph looks quite close to others with the same turbo although again it does seem to be lacking power very low down.

Changing the exhaust cam had little effect on the spool, it just seems to be a sluggish engine.

If you dont rev it high enough when you change gear it falls off the power band, which is strange for this size turbo.

I will have a measure of a stock head gasket Chris as I have one here, just to make sure.

From memory a stock TT head combustion chamber volume is around 58 cc? So with a 1.2 mm gasket the CR comes out pretty low. I did a quick calculation using piston volume negative figures as cited by CP and by JE. JE list 2JZ-GTE pistons as having a bigger bowl volume than CP. I have no idea what pistons are in this though.

Personally, from looking at Julian's torque graphs it looks similar to other set ups with this turbo and I guess his and my idea of too much lag aren't the same as others perhaps? Did you have a drive in the thing Lee? What did you think of it?

I thought you said it was laggy before? Unless that was someone else.

We only changed the springs didn't we? If so then no.

No, it was springs and valves, plus any other necessary bits. It was basically all the Supertech stuff that was due to go onto your head but ended up going on mine.

The GT4088R setup I had previously had good low down power. Michel, Ryan and others could all vouch for that.

Right, so if cr is possibly not an issue does it now seem logical to do a test of swapping the turbo for a similar one, like Ian suggested? If so, which one?

I still have my GT4088R but the blades are frayed and I know it's down on power because of that, but would it at least give me a comparison on the spool and lag?

Or is there another one to test which would give a better comparison and go on easier, with maybe less hassle?

My money is still on a turbo problem, must be driving you insane trying to get to the bottom of this.

Yeah, you're right Jamie, it'll be a room with padded walls for me soon if I don't get it sorted.

Im not saying the CR is not a problem in your case, just that a 1.2mm HG is smaller than stock. Other things can affect CR, like head work.

Swapping the turbo is a good idea as this will eliminate another possabilty but you do need to fix the blow on the t4 flange as this will effect spool.

Right, so if cr is possibly not an issue does it now seem logical to do a test of swapping the turbo for a similar one, like Ian suggested? If so, which one?

I still have my GT4088R but the blades are frayed and I know it's down on power because of that, but would it at least give me a comparison on the spool and lag?

Or is there another one to test which would give a better comparison and go on easier, with maybe less hassle?

Yeah, you're right Jamie, it'll be a room with padded walls for me soon if I don't get it sorted.

I'm pretty certain it's not a genuine Garrett exhaust housing as it hasn't got a little plate on giving part/serial numbers, etc.

Do you think they would still be able to repair it economically if that's the case? Or are they just going to say to me it's not genuine, they can't do anything with it and I'd need to buy a new one.

Im not saying the CR is not a problem in your case, just that a 1.2mm HG is smaller than stock. Other things can affect CR, like head work.

Swapping the turbo is a good idea as this will eliminate another possabilty but you do need to fix the blow on the t4 flange as this will effect spool.

Yeah, sorry Lee, I knew you weren't actually saying it's been ruled out as a problem, I'm just trying to think of the next best thing to do. I'll get that new gasket fitted today.

I'm pretty certain it's not a genuine Garrett exhaust housing as it hasn't got a little plate on giving part/serial numbers, etc.

Do you think they would still be able to repair it economically if that's the case? Or are they just going to say to me it's not genuine, they can't do anything with it and I'd need to buy a new one.

It will only cost you the price to post it to them to ask there opinion on it.