The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater matrix

jackso11

a car that over heats every week once enough coolant has leaked out scares me. I will gladly give up a saturday to sort it finally!

I dont know if i would have the skills and mindset to be able to do it. I think i could probably get it out and changed but putting it all back together? Maybe with a bucket of bits left over.

I remember when i found water in the bottom of my foot pan i nearly shit myself! lucky for me it was rain from a leaking aero seal.

Must have saved yourself atleast £700 notes doing it yourself. Bravo.

Good plan.

Is there anyway of getting aircon gas out of the system without driving anywhere? My radiator is almost dry and I don't want to fill it up as I am going to be taking the matrix out which will result in loosing loads of this toyota red coolant that I have now spent a fortune on.

Well, stripped out the dash today to do the heater matrix, Thanks for the guide Jezz, very good write up but you have missed quite a lot of nuts and bolts that need removing! ;)

Check this picture, I reckon it clearly says heater matrix has popped!!

No probs, glad it helps. :)

I jotted down every nut and bolt I removed / re-fitted when I did that write up! I guess there may be a few differences cross models, TT - NA - Manual - Auto ect.

I'd say your matrix may have a small leak judging by that pic. :D

that far, about 10 mins. Thts only seats and carpet out. I will get pics up later of the current status. one bolt left to get off before the matrix is out. It got rained off yesterday so I had to stop. I would say its abou 3 hours so far and everything is out.

Aircon is degassed....by mistake. whoops, didn't mean to undo that bolt! oh well.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update on this to sign it off.

5 weeks later and I finally got the car running again. Heater matrix is a 2 day job taking it easy, could even do it in one but I started in the afternoon both days. While i had the carpet out I gave everything a clean and decided to fit an amp, lay cables all ofer for my carPC and fit that and then got into all kind of other jobs. I can only work on the car at weekends so it dragged on a bit but its now running again :) and no over heating, a couple of polished bits under the bonnet, a uk spec bonnet on there...currently green/blue though.

All good :D