The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost problem

Stonkin

I agree mate. Something must have happened to it when it was removed or put back, although it could have been like this before the manifold was done, but it was certainly boosting fine.

You would think it would hardly boost at all though and sound awful or smoke if its buggered?

Right, dude has had the compressor housing off. The bolts on it were done up stupidly tight, not that that should cause any issues. There were no marks inside the housing so not catching in there. The blades are still hard to spin and he thinks are most likely due to the bearings. When you spin it, he said the blades keep going for a second or so but thats it, so not how it should be.

Ideally its gona be best sent to CR Turbos and get them to fully take it apart and inspect, as that could end up being a cheaper fix than just chucking it away.

It still doesnt make sense how the previous mechanic, as a test, disconnected the boost controller, clamped the vacuum pipe coming from the solenoid to the compressor and took it out with it peaking at 1.6 bar without full revs. Can anyone explain that?

Now i'm left with a decission of just leaving it with AFR and it getting sent off or putting the compressor housing back on and taking it to pod for the day before the turbo gets sent off. With the duty set to 90% the car makes 1.0 bar.

If it does come to pod, there is still a squeeking on idle that needs fixing. The previous mechanic bought the kit that replaces the bearings on the aux belt tensioner and belt as these bearings were gone when it was removed, but something is still squeeking. Ive done the tipex test on the crank pulley and it hasnt moved.

I know its my choice but i dont know what to do

If you planned on running then id say just leave it and get the ball rolling with the turbo rebuild but if not and you are not going to be hammering it about then id put it back on, shows up at the pod and have a good time with us lot :D

Good talking to you to and nice to see your car in person, very nice mate :thumbs:

Shame its on an autobox as its not gona allow for any increases in power with what i currently have, but will be nice to know the turbo is new and should last a while, and hopefully get some boost again :)

• 4 weeks later...

Mapping at 1 today :) Have been running the car at 1.0 bar with the new turbo but not ragging the arse off it. Afr's have been fine at this level, its only in the latter part of 4th gear (auto) that they dropped to around 10, hence why i havent really used the car since new turbo fitted. Be nice to have it back to how it should be later :)

One thing i have noticed, especially on dual carriageways, with very light throttle and lightly off, the new turbo whistles, sounds cool :) Cant say i had ever really noticed the old one do that.