The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Today's the day....(I hope!!)

Evil_Nuts

Really, I thought the whole idea was that you could set a max boost level with the controller.

How can a boost controller increase boost?

I thought the turbo would generate a max boost dependent on how much the exhaust system was restricting it with the boost controller / restrictor ring there to prevent the turbo from overboosting and killing itself.

I'm no technical expert by any means, but the way I understood it was the turbos with no restrictions (open exhaust) will spool up until they explode, so you put a restrictor ring in the exhaust which will limit the amount they can naturally spin up to.

The boost controller controls some valves and stuff which can force the turbo to boost more, against the restriction of the ring, effectively putting it above the natural boost that the ristrictor ring allows - this has other effects such as higher EGTs etc.

so for example get a 1.0bar ring, then set your boost controller for 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 on different settings.

I'm no technical expert by any means, but the way I understood it was the turbos with no restrictions (open exhaust) will spool up until they explode, so you put a restrictor ring in the exhaust which will limit the amount they can naturally spin up to.

The boost controller controls some valves and stuff which can force the turbo to boost more, against the restriction of the ring, effectively putting it above the natural boost that the ristrictor ring allows - this has other effects such as higher EGTs etc.

so for example get a 1.0bar ring, then set your boost controller for 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 on different settings.

Oh right, different to my understanding but I don't know much.

I agree that the ring is there to prevent the turbo committing suicide but I didn't know the boost controller forces the turbo to boost more against the restriction of the ring.

You'd think that having a controller that controlled and limited boost would be a much more elegant solution.

It'll be worth the wait. I had to leave a deposit for mine and come back a couple of weeks later once I'd got together the cash I was waiting on! It was hard leaving her there!

I'd get used to driving it how it is for the moment and decide what you want to do with it later. If the plugs and pump have already been done then there isn't much more to gain power wise but could concentrate on handling next. Have a little look around the forum and see what others have done that might take your fancy ;)