The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What are the pitfalls of dealing with a foreign buyer?

Tannhauser

im in a situation, selling my Nissan

someone is sending me a cheque for the car, waiting for it to clear, then they are sending a couorier to collect the car!

without seing the car even! they are very trusting of me.

stil waiting the cheque tho, taking its time its 1 or 2 days late.

is there any harm me giving my account number & sort code so they can just do a BACS?

or shal i wait fo the cheq

im in a situation, selling my Nissan

someone is sending me a cheque for the car, waiting for it to clear, then they are sending a couorier to collect the car!

without seing the car even! they are very trusting of me.

stil waiting the cheque tho, taking its time its 1 or 2 days late.

is there any harm me giving my account number & sort code so they can just do a BACS?

or shal i wait fo the cheq

Lesser of several evils IMO, see Chris' post above (#20). I would say a cheque is the most dodgy though!! Bank transfer is pretty bad but usually OK, cash is the best option, especially if you can take it to the bank and ask them to check it.

I've sold a few of my past cars including my TVR to people from abroad and had nothing but good experiences. The people have turned up, looked around the car, gave me an envelope containing the full asking price in cash, and then went off they went.

As said in this post though, I have gone to the bank with them to pay the amount in to my account before I handed over the keys just to be safe. Luckily the banks literally around the corner from me :)

Lesser of several evils IMO, see Chris' post above (#20). I would say a cheque is the most dodgy though!! Bank transfer is pretty bad but usually OK, cash is the best option, especially if you can take it to the bank and ask them to check it.

I think Lude is being ironic mate ;)

I also did deal with nice guy from Netherlands (BigMark on this forum) and transaction was flawless. He brought cash, shown me receipt from exchange place, had a look at the car, liked it and off he went.

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

Hello,

I have found this thread that it is about me.

I want that telephone number because i want to speak with you personaly, and in that way i think its much more better than PM messages, i will give you GBP.

I already have toyota supra from "tooquicktoostop" his name is Dean you can ask him for references.....

At this moment i know why you want to go into bank. You thought that i will give you CZK or EUR, no i will come with GBP.

PM me some other information and try to ask "tooquicktoostop" about me.

He had Toyota Supra TT BPU....

Edited by frufru (see edit history)

Hello,

I have found this thread that it is about me.

I want that telephone number because i want to speak with you personaly, and in that way i think its much more better than PM messages, i will give you GBP.

I already have toyota supra from "tooquicktoostop" his name is Dean you can ask him for references.....

At this moment i know why you want to go into bank. You thought that i will give you CZK or EUR, no i will come with GBP.

PM me some other information and try to ask "tooquicktoostop" about me.

He had Toyota Supra TT BPU....

Thanks. I will message you back and then we'll talk by phone.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

The car was sold to Jiri, who has some plans for the car. Very nice guys to deal with (three of them came over). The cash was paid into my building society with no problems. The price had been agreed in advance and was honoured with no haggling.

The experience was a positive one all the way round. I was maybe a bit overcautious, but no harm in that.

It's the end of an era for me, seven years of owning that car and a couple more in my previous Supra.

Farewell pics:

Bye bye car.jpg

Bye bye car 1.jpg

Bye bye car 2.jpg

Bye bye car 3.jpg

Congratulations and commiserations in equal measure, it's a lovely car.

Pleased to see you had a positive experience though in what must have been a fairly uneasy situation (at least, until the buyer revealed he'd already bought successfully from a club member!), and credit must go to frufru for the way he handled his business - I hope the trip back was safe :)

Congratulations and commiserations in equal measure, it's a lovely car.

Pleased to see you had a positive experience though in what must have been a fairly uneasy situation (at least, until the buyer revealed he'd already bought successfully from a club member!), and credit must go to frufru for the way he handled his business - I hope the trip back was safe :)

:yeahthat:

Is that the guy that bought it in the last pic? He looks a big lad. Were you intimidated, Mr. T?

Yes, that's him.

They were nice guys. I wasn't intimidated, but I was quite anxious about the whole situation. My fault, not theirs: I dislike buying and selling cars at the best of times, and this added another layer of uncertainty to the process.