The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing springs and shocks

Lee_e

Told you, wishbone bolt.

On the passengers side you remove the inner arch at the front and then unbolt the water bottle. This allows you to remove it. Drivers side just comes right out.

You will most likely need a spare pair of hands as you might want to stand on the hub to push it down enough to get the strut out. I did this on my own but it wasn't fun.

:yeahthat:

I gave up triing it without removing the wishbone after two hours. But you seem to be a special case if you still try to work your way around. You'll be pissed, when you see how easy and fast it is with the wishbone removed. BELIEVE ME. Been there done that...

It's done in 10 mins...

Little hint: I did it myself without bouncing on the hub. I put a jack between the hub and the inner arch. That makes it very easy and comfortable.

After many hours swearing at the thing, wishbone bolt out, job done in 10 mins. It took longer to put the washer bottle + 1000 bolts / screws back in from the inner arch than time taken to change the strut!

After many hours swearing at the thing, wishbone bolt out, job done in 10 mins. It took longer to put the washer bottle + 1000 bolts / screws back in from the inner arch than time taken to change the strut!

One additional tip is that you can undo the two lower bolts on the washer bottle but just loosen the top one........you can then move the bottle enough to get the bolt out and free the wishbone but don't have to faff around too much relocating the washer bottle when you are finished......

.........probably goes without saying but if you do the passenger side first, don't go removing the whole arch liner on the drivers side, you need only undo 3 or 4 bolts in the area of the bolt head to allow you to bring the liner far enough forward to remove the bolt.....:)

I'm suprised you had so much trouble to remove them, i did this job not long ago and only thing i did to help me out with shocks was compressing springs. Once i got them compressed, just a little crowbar action and all was going out like a dream.

cheers for all the help today guys , very very appreciative of all your advice..... but i think i will get AFR to do it for me.:)

maybe my spanner knowledge wasnt as good as i thought :(

cheers again

I don't think the knowledge is the issue, you just aren't willing to do what has been suggested ;)

I can`t understand why your having so much trouble mate hope someone can lend you a hand, when i did mine it was real easy i didnt need to undo the droplinks either just undo the lower arm adjuster bolt i think it is then the arm should lower enough to get the shock out top end first get a mate to push down on the hub

I don't think the knowledge is the issue, you just aren't willing to do what has been suggested ;)

Well i was trying since 10 a.m until 4.30 pm !! on just the passengers side :blink:

i used my spring compressors aswell , didnt do anything . oh well i have left it in the more than capable hands of AFR and im certain they will do an awesome job.

cheers guys