The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chasing Power - When Will It End?

jevansio

but i dont have the desire to rag the arse off the car everytime i get in it, so when i do hit the loud pedal i still enjoy it, perhaps you need to go "cold turkey" and limit yourself to one rag a week :D

That's my trouble, I do :D, it's begging for it :D

I'm sure you mean that nicely ;)

You know I do :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people go over the top with their streetable comments. 4krpm is still absolutely fine for driving on the street, especially if you have another 4k to go.

I normally change gears around 2-2.5K (sometimes even lower). If I now had to change around 3K let alone 4K then that would put me right off. Its a street car on public roads and not a race car.

I normally change gears around 2-2.5K (sometimes even lower). If I now had to change around 3K let alone 4K then that would put me right off. Its a street car on public roads and not a race car.

Dude, you have a car called "The BlackWidow" and you hate shifting over 3K :D

His car will drive the same at 2-2.5k as yours though, will it not? A stock TT will have a little bit of oomph but not really much to write home about.

I have exactly the same driving style as yourself. My thinking is that if I like pootling about at 2.5k and just want to get a little push going I can floor it and the tubby will respond pretty quickly. With a bigger tubby you would be waiting around, or have to drop gears.... not effortless so not really ideal for me.

For other folks it will be ideal. I just think streetable and driveability are 2 different things. Driveability is always going to be down to the individuals driving style. As long as the car is well maintained, looked after and setup properly it is always going to be streetable IMO.

I see no difference in driving my Supra around compared to any of the other cars I've had, tootling around it is as happy as any of the others (including the 911 Turbo), sure if I put my foot down it wouldn't pick up as quick, but that's what gears are for

The thing is Jamie, before 4krpm it is going to be fairly gutless? No?

No, The difference between a 67mm turbo and 76mm modern turbo in spool time is a blip of the throttle, it honestly feels nothing, never once have i thought my car to be gutless under boost, with the new engine it revs like a highly tuned race car, blip the throttle and the revs go mad.

I dont mean to be harsh but most the people that go on about spool time/lag have never owned/been in a properly setup medium/big single, im guilty of doing it myself, i also was brain washed;) its called following the forum, one person says something and it gets repeted time after time, things have moved on in turbo technology.

Im not trying to talk people into chasing numbers, far from it, its an expensive hobby, 600bhp is a nice power output for a street car, a 1000bhp is a lot better though:D

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I chased big BHP for a lot of wrong reasons in the past, this is an expensive hobby as those of you who do it will know, it is sooooo addictive and you get used to the next level so quickly, I remember picking up my R32 Stroker from TDI in Essex, they said it was running 735 BHP fly and was mental quick, within 3-4 weeks I wanted more, that cost me a fortune, I came back to Supras and had a couple more singles never found a point where I had "enough" power

I think if I did it again I would be a lot wiser and better at the build choice, not sure I want to spend the money again though and this is why I am going to just get a 355 and be done with it, all show and no go :D

I think a lot of people need to truly experience driving a big power turbo car before they can really appreciate its peccadillos. Obviously this is not a cheap shot at you Jevansio, just that there is a lot of BS online.

Lag is an issue, especially with a BIG turbo - but nothing either a quick downshift or two (or if you can think ahead a bit, a bit of brake-boosting) can't fix.

However, lag means that you have awesome fuel economy on cruise, ease of driving in urban situations like carparks and schools (no light-switch hipo V8-style tailtwitching), and ability to let your girlfriend decide to drive.

Also, the boost controller is your friend. Don't want to play? Wastegate. See a Ferrari looking a bit too smug? 28 psi.

In my opinion, for what little that is worth, I am more concerned about the speed (and thus, speeding fines!) than the power I have - I would drive on race fuel at 2 bar all day if I could, as the on-boost rush is always awesome no matter how often I feel it. I don't think I would choose to live with LESS than 500 whp, in any car.

1 setting, high boost all the time

I have never seen the point in low/high boost settings, if i dont want to go fast (yeah right;)) i dont put my foot down as much.

Ahh, yes.. this old chestnut. I see it as "turbo foreplay" - a lower boost setting for a while desensitises you to the power, meaning high boost feels like HIGH BOOST again.

Ahh, yes.. this old chestnut. I see it as "turbo foreplay" - a lower boost setting for a while desensitises you to the power, meaning high boost feels like HIGH BOOST again.

I get my fair share of "desensitanastion" in my daily drive, don't matter how slow I drive Monday to Friday I still take the Supe out & it's feeling less & less each time

i bought mine stock TT jspec, i was nice power, then i went bpu, it was nicer, so i went GT35r single and that was nicer again so i added 264 cams, you guessed it even nicer... so now i want a bigger turbo :) so to answer the original question, to me the answer is no, chasing power will never seam to end

The power delivery of my GT35R was perfect for me on the roads in HK, it would make positive boost at just over 2K rpm and by 3K rpm was pushing out nearly 400hp pulling hard to the 7K rev limit making around 540hp.

If I was driving in the UK I might be tempted to go with a T04Z, bigger than that though and you're really pushing the limits of the stock engine, which is when it starts getting very expensive.

I think chasing the figures does end but not because you don't want more just because priorities and situations change. I too had a stock TT then went BPU then got the T67 DBB, built engine etc etc but the year before last I did about 900 miles and last year I did 33 miles. Not because I don't want to drive it but I just don't drive anywhere much now as I work from home and on my time off spend time with my wife and baby girl.

I am sure if I take her for a spin she will seem fast as I cannot remember what she was like to drive with her 577 ponies. The last time I drove her was to the North East Motor show last summer. Must dust her off!