The mkiv Supra Owners Club

private plates, who has them??

Supra N_A

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't though mate, the prefix you mention has 3 letters after the number ;)

That prefix DOES need the 3 letters as far as I am aware.

You are partly correct although 21 onwards were used but 1-20 were held back.

Extract from wiki:

1983 to 2001

By 1982, the year suffixes had reached Y and so from 1983 onwards the sequence was reversed again, so that the year letter — starting again at "A" — preceded the numbers then the letters of the registration. The available range was then A21 AAA to Y999 YYY, the numbers 1–20 being held back for the government's proposed, and later implemented, DVLA select registration sales scheme. Towards the mid-1990s there was some discussion about introducing a unified scheme for Europe, which would also incorporate the country code of origin of the vehicle, but after much debate such a scheme was not adopted due to lack of countries willing to participate. The changes in 1983 also brought the letter Q into use – although on a very small and limited scale. It was used on vehicles of indeterminate age, such as those assembled from kits, substantial rebuilds, or imported vehicles where the documentation is insufficient to determine the age. There was a marked increase in the use of Q registrations in the late 1980s and early 1990s, fuelled by car crime.[citation needed] Many stolen vehicles had false identities given to them, and when this was discovered and the original identity could not be determined, a Q registration would be issued to that vehicle. It was seen as an aid to consumer protection.

I think he meant the plate A1 on it's own, not something like A1 SUP or something. According to the numberplate site I looked at these plates came into force in January 1904, which is when they started allocating cars registration numbers (under the Motor Car Act 1903)

So although these are still just technically a regular number plate, they are worth more due to their 'age' and the less letters/numbers, the better! This is partly due to the fact that a lot of the cars at the time were scrapped, and I believe you can't 'get back' the plate from a scrapped vehicle

As for the irish plates being expensive, I think they are going up in price as people realise you can make money out of them, but I've seen them starting at around £80 plus transfer fee for the ones that are like TZI 6018.

You are partly correct although 21 onwards were used but 1-20 were held back.

Extract from wiki:

1983 to 2001

By 1982, the year suffixes had reached Y and so from 1983 onwards the sequence was reversed again, so that the year letter — starting again at "A" — preceded the numbers then the letters of the registration. The available range was then A21 AAA to Y999 YYY, the numbers 1–20 being held back for the government's proposed, and later implemented, DVLA select registration sales scheme. Towards the mid-1990s there was some discussion about introducing a unified scheme for Europe, which would also incorporate the country code of origin of the vehicle, but after much debate such a scheme was not adopted due to lack of countries willing to participate. The changes in 1983 also brought the letter Q into use – although on a very small and limited scale. It was used on vehicles of indeterminate age, such as those assembled from kits, substantial rebuilds, or imported vehicles where the documentation is insufficient to determine the age. There was a marked increase in the use of Q registrations in the late 1980s and early 1990s, fuelled by car crime.[citation needed] Many stolen vehicles had false identities given to them, and when this was discovered and the original identity could not be determined, a Q registration would be issued to that vehicle. It was seen as an aid to consumer protection.

I think he meant the plate A1 on it's own, not something like A1 SUP or something. According to the numberplate site I looked at these plates came into force in January 1904, which is when they started allocating cars registration numbers (under the Motor Car Act 1903)

So although these are still just technically a regular number plate, they are worth more due to their 'age' and the less letters/numbers, the better! This is partly due to the fact that a lot of the cars at the time were scrapped, and I believe you can't 'get back' the plate from a scrapped vehicle

As for the irish plates being expensive, I think they are going up in price as people realise you can make money out of them, but I've seen them starting at around £80 plus transfer fee for the ones that are like TZI 6018.

Yeah that's what I meant :)

My wife had something like IIL1101 on an Audi 200 Turbo, it was quite good as for some reason people often wrote it down wrongly, so she got off a few parking tickets. I run N1PEL on my Volvo which causes some amusement. I want to sell it to the Daily Star or similar as a competition prize, but I also want to vet the contestants to see they are worthy :) What exactly is the offence and fine if you just stuck say CHR1S on something and you got caught? Is it endorsable? Paying fines might be a LOT cheaper than buying a really special plate... :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

My wife had something like IIL1101 on an Audi 200 Turbo, it was quite good as for some reason people often wrote it down wrongly, so she got off a few parking tickets. I run N1PEL on my Volvo which causes some amusement. I want to sell it to the Daily Star or similar as a competition prize, but I also want to vet the contestants to see they are worthy :)

A good example of the type of plate I was thinking of. Not sure if they are Irish? I can't think of any registration mark with this prefix off the top of my head.

I would have considered this either private or Irish.

A good example of the type of plate I was thinking of. Not sure if they are Irish? I can't think of any registration mark with this prefix off the top of my head.

Usually if it has either I or Z in the letters then it is irish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom#Northern_Ireland

What exactly is the offence and fine if you just stuck say CHR1S on something and you got caught? Is it endorsable? Paying fines might be a LOT cheaper than buying a really special plate... :)

Seems to be either £30 or £60 fine if the police stop you, not endorsable, but possibly up to £1000 fine in court.

I did some research and also found this article:

Number Plates scam man is jailed......false number plates

A motorist has been jailed for fitting his car with false number plates, then driving through speed cameras, grinning and waving as they flashed at him.

Company director Brian Beaton was clocked doing 45mph in a 30mph zone in his Mercedes, as well as 71mph in a 50mph area, a court heard.

The 58-year-old mocked police as he went through the speed traps because he thought they would be unable to trace him with false number plates. But officers from Kent and Medway Safety Camera Partnership managed to track him down and bring the case to court.

Beaton, of Gillingham, admitted perverting justice and 11 counts of speeding and using false number plates.

He was jailed for four months and given a 12-month driving ban by Maidstone Crown Court.

Court spokeswoman Rachael Wall said: 'Mr Beaton obviously felt he could ignore the legal speed limit - he was wrong using false number plates.

It's a Northern Ireland plate. (Note the 'Northern' - you can't transfer a Republic of Ireland plate to the UK) Chris's 'IIL' prefix plate originated from the Enniskillen licensing office in County Fermanagh.

You mention that you would have considered this to have been an Irish or a 'private' plate, but as I said earlier, even a 'private' plate had to start out as a normal registration number and as such had to be part of the existing sequence of numbers being issued.

It's a Northern Ireland plate. (Note the 'Northern' - you can't transfer a Republic of Ireland plate to the UK) Chris's 'IIL' prefix plate originated from the Enniskillen licensing office in County Fermanagh.

You mention that you would have considered this to have been an Irish or a 'private' plate, but as I said earlier, even a 'private' plate had to start out as a normal registration number and as such had to be part of the existing sequence of numbers being issued.

I know what you said bud, just looking for an understanding of why.

For example....

"A1"

I would consider this private and not personalised. When would "A1", "VIP 1", "5" be used, what prefix would you see them considered as?

http://www.demonplates.com/news/expensive-number-plates.php