The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hairline crack in turbo manifold

gavin.starr

are the vsv specific to the car.

Can a bust one not be replaced by on that works. ie changing the two related to turbo 2

What I mean is... the VSV's aren't specific to turbo 1 or turbo 2. They are specific to the sequential system. Different VSV's do different jobs. You can't just take the one nearest tubby 1 and put it on the place nearest tubby 2, they both do completely different jobs.

What you need is an EGBV VSV :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah right get you.

whats the EGBV stand for i cant remember.

I could do a random change of the spare VSV's and see if it makes a difference. Its worth a try seeing as i have 2 propperly working examples

Exhaust Gas Bypass Valve.

They aren't all the same spec. You should know by looking at it which one is which.

Check out the MKIV Technical Section and have a look for "the Sequential System". Very nice write up by Ian C covering most of the bases.

As Scott has mentioned, the very likely cause of this is a sticky or faulty EGBV, VSV's do go faulty, but more often than not it's the EGBV actuator. It is very common and becoming more so as these engines get older.

Pain is the ass to fix though.

Edit - best to get the VSV's changed first to rule them out, that's an easy job :)

What does the EGBV actuator look like, ie where is it in the engine bay. Is it the one on the top near the rear if your stood looking at the car from the front.

EDIT - I meant the EGCV, not the EGBV, sorry!

It's difficult to see as it's under the turbo's.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13944&d=1112559002

Look for EGCV actuator and housing labels, they are essentially a single part.

Did I miss something :blink: Have you already replaced the EGCV and housing section with a known working one? If that's the case there's only a couple of things it could be, obviously the simple one (EGCV vsv) is next on the list.

Can't see how the BV would cause an intermittant complete loss of boost to the 2nd turbo. If it were faulty it'd cause steady boost increase after 4k rpm rather than a complete loss of 2nd turbo boost.

Yea i changed the EGCV actuator and exhaust flange, with the one that i took off my car when turbo number 2 blew. the one that i removed was rattling from the actuator arm where it attaches to the valve in the exhaust, so i thought it may have been that, thats why i changed it back to my orrigional because i thought it could be something to do with that which was causing the problem.

Sometimes but not very offen turbo 2 wont come on from 1st through to 3rd gear, it will usually only come on if i accelarate hard from a standing start and then it will com on, but say im driving normally and pull out to overtake in 3rd gear i get nothing.

Edited by gavin.starr (see edit history)

Blowoff Valve.

You have changed the actuator, now change the thing that controls the actuator. Make sure you check all the vac lines at the same time.

Feel like a broken record here :D

It's so funny too, as you have done the hard part ;)

Im feeling really tired now :blink:

when you say chaqnge the thing controlling the actuator you mean the EGVC VSV.

Honestly my head is mashed, im hard training for a half marathon so ive been on a 14mile run not so long ago. think im ready for bed.

Yes, and the lines coming to/from it.

Sometimes but not very offen turbo 2 wont come on from 1st through to 3rd gear, it will usually only come on if i accelarate hard from a standing start and then it will com on, but say im driving normally and pull out to overtake in 3rd gear i get nothing.

This is the typical sign of a control valve issue, but it seems you guys have been discussing this already and ruled that out, so will leave you to it :D Still can't see how the bypass valve can cause this if the boost has more or less zero build after the 1st turbo is engaged...

Hope you get a good resolution to this :)

PS: If you get stuck for VSV's, I have a box or two of them here.

This is the typical sign of a control valve issue, but it seems you guys have been discussing this already and ruled that out, so will leave you to it :D Still can't see how the bypass valve can cause this if the boost has more or less zero build after the 1st turbo is engaged...

Hope you get a good resolution to this :)

PS: If you get stuck for VSV's, I have a box or two of them here.

Fancy selling me a whole set Darryl? If you can't spare a set can you part with an IACV and a EGCV?

Looks like your search for VSV's may have been answered