The mkiv Supra Owners Club

All top end on a tuned uk spec?

Branners

Guest Terry S

I did mine Ian with no welding & still couldn't make that much of a mess at night, with sunglasses on & no light source:D

Seriously though folks, I did do the Mod thanks to Rich & had No1 boosting to 1 bar but didn't like the transition so shut the bleeder back down. Horses for courses. Also guys, the J spec fuel pump ECU switches when positive boost is made, to 12v. I think the UK is RPM reliant ( never been able to confirm it) so UK guys be a little careful boosting higher on No.1, as I think it switches to 12v about 3800 rpm.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Terry S

I did mine Ian with no welding & still couldn't make that much of a mess at night, with sunglasses on & no light source:D

Seriously though folks, I did do the Mod thanks to Rich & had No1 boosting to 1 bar but didn't like the transition so shut the bleeder back down. Horses for courses. Also guys, the J spec fuel pump ECU switches when positive boost is made, to 12v. I think the UK is RPM reliant ( never been able to confirm it) so UK guys be a little careful boosting higher on No.1, as I think it switches to 12v about 3800 rpm.

lol Terry...

Good info there.

To be honest I may keep it as it as I like the mental surge @ 4k.

Until I get the Single Turbo :D

Gaz.

Originally posted by Ian C

Aha, but, my argument was that mine required no welding. Folks who want to cut up the t-piece and weld it onto the bleed valve can do so. Me, I went for the upgrade that required fingers and five minutes :)

My original "no-weld" version.

:p

bleedersetup.jpg

I found the best thing was to have the "pre-spool bleeder" allowing for boost slightly lower than the boost in twin turbo mode, on mine it orked best with 1.0bar on no. 1 turbo, I was running 1.2bar on a boost controller when second turbo came online, if you try and run to high a boost with it you just remove pre-spool altogether. I recommend people play with it and see how their car reacts and if they like the change, if they end up taking it off it's only about 10 quid lost.

Yeah, well, your momma did :p

Bugger the lot of you, I like it because it works. Besides, it shows I put some thought into it and sort of worked it out in a parallel evolution stylee way rather than just copying someone else's stuff. And I didn't like the apparent strain HardHead's pre-weld version puts on the pipes. Probably psychological but there you go :)

-Ian

Ian, did no one ever tell you not to work on your car when drunk;)

As long as you like it.........................:rolleyes:

No, no-one did. That probably explains why I need to switch on the wipers to get cylinder 6 to spark after upgrading my fuel injectors. Actually, you change the fuel pump enough times and you don't need no alchohol to have a goooooood time :)

-Ian

• 13 years later...

I wasn't sure whether to bump this or link to it from another thread, but I wanted to highlight this is again as I've been on here forever and yet I'd forgotten about this mod.

I have been having a few boost issues with my modded car and have been playing with a stock Bov, HKS one and none and generally acquainting myself with vsv's etc etc. My boost controller was not really having the effect I was after/thought it should and my first turbo boost of 0.6 ish bar was poor and my bpu car felt less lively low in the rev range than my totally stock car. This 1st turbo mod had no effect initially as the controller either fought it or was/is, tired/not working. With the controller hoses removed and one rerouted to still give me a boost reading in the car, I reconnected the 1st turbo hoses in the stock way and then once this worked (immediate 1st turbo boost rise to over 0.7 bar) I added the bleed valve setup discussed all those years ago and now get nearly 0.9 bar on the first turbo 1.1 on the second and am much much happier with the way it drives.

• 3 weeks later...

Did this just now..

but didn't get the results i was hoping for.. only got 0,4 bar on first turbo.. was said just a quarter turn would do it.. whats wrong with me? lol;)

have the usdm hybrids so really need to get my first turbo to boost more (its a laggy fuck!;-)

the hose from the pipe went in to inlet nipple and outlet to vsv on the rearmost on the vsv.. T bar on the other..

Help;-)

have it like 53 also. maybe i have the valvev the wrong way.. pretty sure, I double checked. it got 0,5-0,6 before.. I took of the MBC to be sure the effect of the 1st turbo mod was right. im at BPU and the actuator is a heavy duty type.. (not lower then 1-1,2bar)

have it like 53 also. maybe i have the valvev the wrong way.. pretty sure, I double checked. it got 0,5-0,6 before.. I took of the MBC to be sure the effect of the 1st turbo mod was right. im at BPU and the actuator is a heavy duty type.. (not lower then 1-1,2bar)

Update!:)

put back my MBC and adjusted it below what i used to have (still wanted to know if the mod made a difference). NICE!! think i actually need to adjust the valve down;-) gave it a little tweek aswell;-)

The mod has my vote!:-)