The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lpg conversion

cobrastang

I think near £4000 for me to fit an LPI system -needs 2 tanks and 2 pumps (the pumps are only rated to around 500 bhp max )

Other than high octane , clean burning so a clean engine and no bore wash , no oil dilution, long burn duration , plenty of heat to spool turbo, huge intercooling effect to make your sports car err ....sportier

Oh and its cheap...

Wouldn't be so sure about getting more for your car when it's done, I've seen a few supra's with the conversion done for sale now and none of them went quickly and came down in price! Personally I wouldn't buy a LPG converted car ESP something like a supra, the engine isn't designed to run on gas, I reckon if you get it done you'll start to see a few things go wrong after a year or so if not sooner! Not a big fan of this at all TBH!

Why? I bought my car 3 years ago and the conversion is about 8 years old. This car was a daily driver up in Scotland for years without any problems. My engine has been tested and is very strong, it also has never had any smoke or anything with 90k on the clock. I personally don't use the gas myself and I can never be arsed filling the tank up. My car runs great on it although I did think that I had a faulty vapouriser but that seems to have sorted itself out, strange. If I did more miles I would certainly use the LPG all the time..!!

didnt havard run one for ages without any issue at all?

Yes, see above.....:D

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you do mega miles then surely it is better to do it cheaper??:blink: My car is on a 5k limited miles policy so I would never see the benefits if I fancied it. Luckily it came with the car......:)

H.

A local Vauxhall dealership had all the works vehicles converted to gas they did not run on petrol at all. They abandoned the venture a few years later due to engine ware rates. I had a gas 4L V8 at the time, I used to get my gas from them. They warned me not to run on gas alone, suggesting I ran one tank in three on petrol. I did not and the V8 engine was screwed in three years. I would never buy another car that was not designed to use gas out of the factory.

What worries me most is there are some many different experiences among owners of gas converted cars. Some terrible some amazing, it is just too inconsistent. Too much of a lottery.

A local Vauxhall dealership had all the works vehicles converted to gas they did not run on petrol at all. They abandoned the venture a few years later due to engine ware rates. I had a gas 4L V8 at the time, I used to get my gas from them. They warned me not to run on gas alone, suggesting I ran one tank in three on petrol. I did not and the V8 engine was screwed in three years. I would never buy another car that was not designed to use gas out of the factory.

What worries me most is there are some many different experiences among owners of gas converted cars. Some terrible some amazing, it is just too inconsistent. Too much of a lottery.

There's additives for the LPG system such as flashlube for the valve seats. I don't know much about overall engine wear but alot of the airport taxi guys here have 250k miles on gas on their cars

I know experiences differ, I would have thought a main dealer would know what they were doing. They found it not economically viable due to the repair costs. They said the car would have got to much higher mileage if use on petrol. They don't use gas any more, the big tank has gone from their site.

• 4 weeks later...
Any news about your lpg conversion?

I've stuck nearly 3k miles on mine already since converting it. I haven't had it set up properly so it still cuts out on WOT but then petrol is good for a damn good blast about so I cruise and general blat about on gas and rag it on petrol. I think I am already a quarter of the way to paying for the instal.

I'm a fan of LPG. I converted my 4.6 Range Rover 6 years ago, have covered 100K miles with it so far and saved about £15K in fuel tax. But I wouldn't convert my Supra. The RR has a 135l tank (110l usable) giving 300 miles range (+ 300 on petrol). But I could only get a small tank in the Supra using up the (already) limited baggage space and having to fill up with LPG continually would be a real pain. The economic benefit of LPG has diminished over the last 5 years... 29.9p/litre at Asda and Morrisons in 2004/5 is now more like 60p/litre at the likes of Shell and the proportionate benefit is lower now compared with petrol. I would also have concerns about the saleability of a LPG Supra. There are still some people who will shy away from LPG conversions, so the potential pool of buyers is reduced - of course, not an issue if your cars a keeper....

I think LPG will suit some, but not all... Good luck with the conversion! And post some photos and experiences!

Steve

I realy would like to hear of some one runing TT LPG as I would like to have my Supra as a daily car.

Anyone?

Dude my aristo is a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo VVTi motor. Its the same engine. I get exactly the same MPG on gas as I do petrol. To be fair its probably because I WOT on petrol and don't on gas. Its a very tidy instal, and going on the fact that the supras boot is pretty damn useless using up most of it with a covered toroidal tank. It can be tuned to WOT but I'm sort of glad its not as it keeps me going sensible on gas stopping me from burning way too much fuel lol. My nearest petrol station does LPG as does 3 of the 4 I pass on the way to work so I've no issue with getting gas. I'll get some pictures up of my instal at some point soon.

I'm a fan of LPG. I converted my 4.6 Range Rover 6 years ago, have covered 100K miles with it so far and saved about £15K in fuel tax. But I wouldn't convert my Supra. The RR has a 135l tank (110l usable) giving 300 miles range (+ 300 on petrol). But I could only get a small tank in the Supra using up the (already) limited baggage space and having to fill up with LPG continually would be a real pain. The economic benefit of LPG has diminished over the last 5 years... 29.9p/litre at Asda and Morrisons in 2004/5 is now more like 60p/litre at the likes of Shell and the proportionate benefit is lower now compared with petrol. I would also have concerns about the saleability of a LPG Supra. There are still some people who will shy away from LPG conversions, so the potential pool of buyers is reduced - of course, not an issue if your cars a keeper....

I think LPG will suit some, but not all... Good luck with the conversion! And post some photos and experiences!

Steve

The difference between petrol cost and LPG is still 50% 60p a litre of gas to over 120p for petrol. When LPG was 30p petrol was 60p. In fact you are saving more physical cash now because 50% of £1 is more cash than 50% of 50p

The difference between petrol cost and LPG is still 50% 60p a litre of gas to over 120p for petrol. When LPG was 30p petrol was 60p. In fact you are saving more physical cash now because 50% of £1 is more cash than 50% of 50p

Agree about the real cash difference (about 60p/litre saving still). But the petrol price in 2004/5 was between 85-90p/litre depending on where you filled up and, back then, I was getting LPG for around a third the price of petrol which was a no brainer.

If you check the budget treatment of LPG over the past few years, the tax per litre has gone up more on LPG than on petrol by several additional pence and, proportionately, the tax take on LPG has gone up compared with petrol. I contacteded my MP about it, but it looks like the votes in LPG are pretty low priority....

Anyway... it's still worthwhile for many .... and a good way to reduce the cost of motoring