Branners

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by mrboost

anyone now the max bar reading for stock turbo's as hitting 1.56bar now. Can I go Higher ?

stock J turbos good for a max of 550 bhp ?

Boost

Keep running that sort of boost, and not only will your turbos let go, you could start melting things too.

1.3 bar is seen as the max by Chris Wilson, I personally moderate my right foot to give approx 1.2 bar.

Ben..

don't no on the EGT as need a glove box conversion to install gauge.

Got the HKS fuel computer and uprated fuel pump. Under boost pushing 19% more fuel in.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Turned her down to the second highest boost setting what is 1.23. I'm not using that tuner anymore so will have to take it down to one of the experts on here.

Boostie

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just noticed on my SBC-ID and Powermeter that the maximum speed says that I have only hit 93 leptons??? Now last night on my private test track I hit WAY over that. It was reading last night at 140 on the power/speed display (I know that this is in KMPH in this display) when cruising at around 100 leptons and I had it up to around 160 leptons, why is this not reading correctly? Is the speed signal cable supposed to be wired in after the speed signal convertor for a J Spec, or if it is spliced into the ECU connection should that be correct? Seems weird as the power and the speed in the power/speed display seems to be correct.

Anyone get what I'm talking about??

Ben..

• 4 weeks later...

Just in the middle of fitting my PowerMeter at the moment, having fitted the ID3 last weekend. My PowerMeter also came with what I guess is some kind of harness, but I can't find any info on where it needs to go? :conf:

From what I remember, it looks like it plugs into the remaining slot in the SDB ID3 silver 'control' box, but then there are 4 wires coming out of it (Grey, Black, Yellow and Brown) and I have NO IDEA where they go .... or if I even need them? I have wired up the actual wires that came with the PowerMeter (i.e. Orange to ECU pin 2, Red to Live and Black to Ground), so I'm not sure what this extra 'harness' does? :(

I've attached a (rubbish) picture of it

Cheers, J :cool:

powermeter_harness.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

James, I think thats the optional harness that lets you also monitor things like water temp, injector pulse width, a/f, tps etc.

Not much info around for it, trying to decide what to do with mine.

Now on another note. The auto feature can't be used on the sequential turbo setup. What about when they are put in the true twin mode - has anyone tried that? And then using the gain to try and bring the normal lag associated with that down a bit?

Ahhhh .... That's cool! Well, if you figure out what to do with it let me know! I wouldn't have a clue where to splice it all in!

I'm about to go out there and mess about with the speedmap functions .... fingers crossed!!!

p.s. Does the PowerMeter give the BHP figure at the wheels or the fly? Mine showed 329 at 1.1bar?

I had a little play with the speedmap function over the weekend. I gave it a go with Branners' settings from earlier on in this post! It did feel alot better in the early gears ... but those settings give me WAAAAAAY too much boost.

I showed a peak of 1.25bar (with plenty left to go!), and there was lots of popping etc when it was hitting my limit of 1.15. I also came out with a peak HP reading of 1183 on the PowerMeter after that!! :p :p

Does anyone else have some other examples of their speedmap and boost settings I could try ... I'm aiming for 1.15 bar max. I have no cats either. I'm going to mess about a little more with it and drop all the boost settings!

Cheers. J :cool:

I should probably put a warning on my settings, its for a UK spec and if you run them for an import theres a good chance it will go pop.

Try Paul E's settings.

I was planning on getting together with a few other SBC-ID owners and having a fiddle (so to speak) to see how best the settings map up. I was going to arrange it for Quincys on the A41 near Watford as theres a good dual carriage way there.

JB

Originally posted by Branners

I should probably put a warning on my settings, its for a UK spec and if you run them for an import theres a good chance it will go pop.

Ahhhh ... Well that explains it all! Don't worry, I got rid of the settings pretty sharpish (although it was fun :cool: ) - And you are correct ... I don't have a restrictor ring!

I am now using a toned down version of Pauls' settings as I found those to be slightly too high too .... seems to be spot on now though :cool:

Cheers, J

Originally posted by JamesArup

I'm looking at pretty much 1 bar (a touch over) with the boost controller switched off

That's pretty low considering. Mine hit way more than that, so you shouldn't need a restrictor ring if you are only hitting just over 1 bar. Try Paul E's settings, I have a variant of theseon mine, but I need to rewire the speed signal wire as it is wired in at the wrong point.

If you have a J-Spec, make sure that the speed signal wire is spliced in after the convertor and not at the ECU, otherwise the speed map won't work properly.

Ben..

If you have a J-Spec, make sure that the speed signal wire is spliced in after the convertor and not at the ECU, otherwise the speed map won't work properly.
Buggernuts ... that might be something I did wrong? I do have a J-Spec and I spliced it into the orange speed wire going into the ECU (literally a few inches from where it goes into the ECU connector block) ... is that the wrong place?

Thanks for all the help Ben ... much appreciated :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Just had all the speedo etc cluster out, so I took the opportunity to take a pic while I was in there. The pic shows the little speedo convertor gizmo, and the pink wire that comes out of it and goes down to the ECU. What I want to know is have I spliced my PowerMeter in on the right 'side' of the convertor, or should it be spliced in inbetween the speedo and the convertor?

It's giving some bizarre readings at the mo. At 1.08 bar, it's showing 167bhp!

Cheers, J :thumbs:

spdconv.jpg

You should splice into the wire that goes from the convertor to the speedo. Then remember to reset your powermeter and reset the 25 mph part of the setup. This should then set you up. That should return it to the correct setup. I was gonna do a lot of wiring on mine today, but it is cold and raining, so I've been drinkin' beer instead.

Ben..