The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flat battery/not charging

foggy147

I took the car to a car electric shop near me to check if the new battry is getting charged he confirmed it is. But for some reason I cant fatham this morning when i put new battery in and started the car the stereo came on and ariel came up. So turned engine offand now when I start it it still doesnt work i dont get it :( cant see it being fuse related. Plus im trying to find this fuse box in drivers side but cant see it anywhere I must be blind can someone point me in the right direction

Right finally found the fuse box checked the stereo and ariel one and it was fine so it rules that out. When I asked the electrician guy he said it's likely bad connection somewhere. Thing is it never moved when I started it and it worked, turned off went inside, came out to start it and it wouldnt come on

Thing is it never moved when I started it and it worked, turned off went inside, came out to start it and it wouldnt come on

Can you be as clear as possible about the symptoms? I'm not sure what you mean by "wouldn't come on". Does the engine crank over at all? I'm confused about whether you're saying the aerial works or doesn't work. I'm starting to think "starter motor contacts" but not sure if your description matches the typical symptoms.

If you can describe this more fully then hopefully we can help. :)

The car starts perfectly fine now one turn and the engine is running. But now the stereo doesnt come on at all and my ariel is designed to pop up when the stereo fascia is connected in the car but there is no power from the stereo. When I started the car this morning everything worked including the stereo and ariel, when I turned the engine off and restarted it later the engine started fine again but the stereo will not come on now and because of that no ariel coming up. I have checked the fuse for the stereo and it's fine. Cant understand what it could be that's causing the stereo to not work anymore. It's the kenwood double din unit which I think came standard with the car

Ah, I see. Forget what I said about the starter motor. :)

It sounds like a weird electrical short somewhere. It's possible that the headunit has its own fuse at the back (which may have blown): I remember reading something ages ago, but wouldn't swear by it.

Once the headunit doesn't work, does it start working again without your intervention? Or has it never worked once it's stopped working?

When the car battery first went flat it has worked everytime up until then. When I boosted it the first time it wouldnt come on no matter what I did to try and make it. But when I fitted the new battery today it did work so I just figured it was because of the old battery being crap so i turned the engine off. When I started it up again the stereo will not come on at all again for some reason.

Right, so it's extremely unlikely to be a fuse problem otherwise the headunit wouldn't have started working again once you changed the battery.

I would try and reproduce the problem to get some degree of predictability. If you disconnect the new battery, leave it off for 20 mins, then reconnect it, does the headunit work again? If so, when you turn the engine on then turn it off, does the HU not work anymore?

Faulty headunit perhaps? If it can eject CDs then power must be getting to the unit: I assume the CD eject isn't just mechanical (they're usually electrical in my experience).

Can you borrow an old headunit from someone, to test it for a couple of days to see if the problem goes away?

In summary, it sounds like have a problem with one or more of the following:

Head unit internals

Power feed to the head unit

Car battery

Battery charging circuit.

From your latest posts, I suspect head unit internals. Until you can reproduce the problem (and make it go away), it's difficult to tie it down to anything specific. You've swapped the battery out, that didn't help (did it? That confused me a bit).

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Ill have to see if I can borrow even if just to connect it up and see if that one works. Cant understand why it suddenly has stopped though. Not sure if its mechanical or not to be honest.Would the red leds still flash even with no power behind the fascia?

i have the same problem, if my car sits for a week ! it wont start full stop am on my fourth battery now!!

reading through this though i think i may need a new alternator :p how much are they?

My alternator new was about £350 for a TT from what i remember.

i have a good altenator if you need it 45..

Is it a TT one? I might take you up on that as my car struggled to start again tonight so theres gotta be something more to it. Need to get it checked over by a car electrician sometime this week to see what the hell is going on with it as dont wanna be worrying if its going to start when I go anywhere lol. Can I have first dibs on the alternator if I do end up needing one if it will fit mine, its a 1998 j spec NA by the way.

Also can anyone recommend any good car electricians or someone who would know what they are doing and wont try rip me off in or around the Bolton area?

Cheers