The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single Turbo Prices??

a98pmalcolm

Cost depends alot if you can shopping around or do some work yourself. We just had this discussion on our local forum.

Here's how I would do it: (I used Scott M's list as a base)

Custom Single kit:

Turbo £800

Ebay manifold £200

Ebay wastegate £150 or Tial £300

Custom downpipe £300

Custom oil lines £100

ECU & Mapping

Used AEM EMS £900

Mapping: Learn to do it yourseld, or have it mapped. Free or around £400

or

~450-500hp setup: Chipped OEM Ecu like SARD or Mine's + Apexi S-AFC (~£400 + cheaper mapping)

Fuel

UK 550's, £120

Fuel pump, Walbro or UK spec Denso, £100-150

Clutch

£500-1000

Fitting

Do it yourself or have a mate help you. It's really not that hard.

New Belts -not needed if regular service has been done

New Oil Pump -not needed

New Water Pump -not needed if regular service has been done

As you can see, it can be done with a budget in mind if you are ready to get your hands greasy. If not, well you might want to pay the £8k then ;)

Also this setup is to around 550 crank hp as the limit is the Fuel injectors and pump. For more power, a full fuel system is needed.

Edited by Krister (see edit history)

We did some testing on Jamie's car with this, not required below 580hp but if you want any more then it's a must. :)

Yeah but to be honest I'd replace the entire system if I was going for 600+ so that would mean it was bypassed as you'd take it out and replace it. For intance I'd use the stock feed line as the return and fit a new #8 feed.

Here's how I would do it: (I used Scott M's list as a base)

Custom Single kit:

Turbo £800

Ebay manifold £200

Ebay wastegate £150 or Tial £300

Custom downpipe £300

Custom oil lines £100

ECU & Mapping

Used AEM EMS £900

Mapping: Learn to do it yourseld, or have it mapped. Free or around £400

or

~450-500hp setup: Chipped OEM Ecu like SARD or Mine's + Apexi S-AFC (~£400 + cheaper mapping)

Fuel

UK 550's, £120

Fuel pump, Walbro or UK spec Denso, £100-150

Clutch

£500-1000

Fitting

Do it yourself or have a mate help you. It's really not that hard.

New Belts -not needed if regular service has been done

New Oil Pump -not needed

New Water Pump -not needed if regular service has been done

Intercooler, piping and fittings?

Screamer pipe and fittings?

Airfilter, intake pipe and fittings?

Turbo blanket?

Gaskets?

Gauges?

Breather lines and catch tank?

Not needed though at that level, the stock system will support 650hp with a Bosch pump and injectors. :)

For most people the 600-650hp range is the most they will go in a road car so the bypass line is the way to go.

Yeah but to be honest I'd replace the entire system if I was going for 600+ so that would mean it was bypassed as you'd take it out and replace it. For intance I'd use the stock feed line as the return and fit a new #8 feed.

I think I need a triple bypass after reading how much needs to be spent on a big brake kit to handle the requisite power of a single- £2000- £5000?!!!

Are you serious??!

No, UK brakes are plenty. Just make sure the pads are decent for top end braking if thats your thing :)

UK Brakes, refurbished with new seals, pins etc etc. Good brake fluid that can take good heat (5.1 is often recommended) and good pads.

Job is a good un.

No, UK brakes are plenty. Just make sure the pads are decent for top end braking if thats your thing :)

UK Brakes, refurbished with new seals, pins etc etc. Good brake fluid that can take good heat (5.1 is often recommended) and good pads.

Job is a good un.

I'd probably stick with stock pads as aftermarket ones are dusty and noisy. They'll be fine on the majority of single setups, although I had Brembos on my last car and the difference is quite noticeable.

UK's tend to be a little spongy, not sure why. Brembo's won't have any more stopping power though.

I didn't like the stock pads for multiple +100 braking. The CW pads I have are far better, they are as dusty as hell though. Biting at low and high speeds is fantastic with them.

If I had the money to spare I would have went with CCX pads, but I don't lol.

If you can't lock the wheels up with UK brakes then there is something very very wrong.

Think about it from a technical point of view. The pad area is the same, if we are talking 4 pots, and if the pads are good the friction force is the same.

Bigger brakes mean more stopping power from high speed, same size brakes make no difference. 4 Pot Brembo's are lighter, that's about it IMO.

Oh, I've had brembo's too. Although not on the supra (Evo V) and I would say the difference between the 2 cars stopping is weight.

As an example if I was planning a single turbo conversion on a completely stock manual Supra with a power goal of around 500-600hp (flywheel), this would be the list of parts I would budget for. Parts would all be quality branded items, no cheap Ebay junk.

Turbo Kit

Turbo Blanket

Front Mounted Intercooler

Blow Off Valve and Flange - welding required.

Cams - optional

Adjustable Cam Gears - optional

Exhaust

Oil Cooler

Radiator - I'd budget for a new one just in case.

Fuel Pump - in tank.

Fuel Injectors - drop in injectors using stock fuel rail.

Clutch

Standalone ECU, Harness, Sensors and Mapping

Oil Lines, Fittings and Catch Tank

Boost Controller

Boost Gauge

Oil Pressure Gauge

Fuel Pressure Gauge

AFR Gauge

Gauge Pod

Spark Plugs

Oil

Oil Filter

So if we were to ask you to source the parts, out of interest (I don't even own a supra at the moment since I sold mine) how much would we be looking at?

Cheers mate :)