The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VMAX Judgement Day! only the fast need apply!

JamieP

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aero is the Supra's biggest problem, not power.

What makes you say that? The Supra has a pretty slippery friction co-efficient at 0.32, better than a lot of modern sports and supercars (for comparison, the Veyron's is 0.36 and R35 GTR is 0.27 linky).

It is a big fat car though, which means that more power will help maximise its low frontal resistance - which is one reason why the Supra is king of the Texas Mile, despite other more powerful V8s and V10s competing.

Edited by sdistc (see edit history)

How long was the stopping distance after 2 mile?

It's hard to say, when you're travelling at 180mph it goes past pretty quick :D, once I had passed the timing beam I pretty much had to jump straight on the brakes & brake as hard as I could & scrubbed enough speed off to take the corner at the end.

My mates 996 TT stopped better on stock 996TT brakes, but I guess they are ducted & with the engine in the rear his braking force will be distributed a bit more evenly across the 4 wheels, with mine the biggest problem was they were starting to fade

What makes you say that? The Supra has a pretty slippery friction co-efficient at 0.32, better than a lot of modern sports and supercars (for comparison, the Veyron's is 0.36 and R35 GTR is 0.27 linky).

It is a big fat car though, which means that more power will help maximise its low frontal resistance - which is one reason why the Supra is king of the Texas Mile, despite other more powerful V8s and V10s competing.

The fact that Jay's mate with less power made similar Vmax in his 911. Caymens too.

They channel the underflow of air much better, the Supra is nigh on 20 years old by design and can't compete, realistically with current sports car aero.

The fact that Jay's mate with less power made similar Vmax in his 911. Caymens too.

They channel the underflow of air much better, the Supra is nigh on 20 years old by design and can't compete, realistically with current sports car aero.

There was defo something up with mine top end, aero may have had something to do with it (I had no undertrays on), but I don't think that it the whole story, this graph showed how mine was beating my mates until I hit top gear, then his took over

attachment.php?attachmentid=103607&stc=1&d=1263138792

Image2.jpg

I agree with your sentiment, but it's often difficult for those without intimate knowledge of the two comparison cars to isolate aerodynamics as the sole reason for their different Vmax. Tyre size, height and compound; driver skills; car weight, setup, gearing and power delivery all come to mind as potential confounding factors.

The other thing I thought of was that Vmax is one of the more accurate indicators of power - maybe the cars weren't as equal as first thought?

I agree with your sentiment, but it's often difficult for those without intimate knowledge of the two comparison cars to isolate aerodynamics as the sole reason for their different Vmax. Tyre size, height and compound; driver skills; car weight, setup, gearing and power delivery all come to mind as potential confounding factors.

The other thing I thought of was that Vmax is one of the more accurate indicators of power - maybe the cars weren't as equal as first thought?

I agree with nearly everything there.

That day I was running oversize rears, 295/30/19, I belive that is quite a way off stock sizes which I now run 285/30/18 (rolling radius wise).

Also those Racing Harts I used to run were pretty heavy, I imagine it's exponentially worse to try & turn them at 180mph. I bet Caymans don't run heavy 19" rims :D

Drivers skill is irrelevant IMHO, it's basically a rolling start & foot to the floor until the end, sure there's a couple of shifts but I dopubt it's enough to give an advantage

Gearing is one which a believe is a factor, the Supras 6th gear is LONG, longer than my mates 996TT, he can't pull 200 in theory whereas the Supra can (on that day with the bigger tyres I recall my max speed was in theory 220mph)