The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine rebuild parts?

JamieP

Hey Jamie.

Would you mind keeping a track of the total cost of all parts needed and letting me know please. Minds on overdrive sitting here.

Cheers mate.

Hey mate,

I already have a new oil/water pump and gasket set, not sure what they cost now.

ARP Head Studs

ARP Main Studs

BC Connecting Rods

CP pistons

GSC stage 1 cams

The above was $3000 give or take a few $, Dusty has not sent me the final invoice yet.

I will most probs go with the brand new PHR supertech head at $2600

I reckon total spend on parts will be about £4000 and should give me a very nice engine, you could do it a lot cheaper with a good secondhand head i suspect.

Everything is ordered now to be sent straight to lee for assembly.

I went with the brand new PHR supertech head in the end, dusty is fitting the GSC stage 1 cams for me with shimless buckets so that is a simple drop on head for Lee.

I was going to say J make sure you go with the shimless buckets if you want to rev it high, wise choice with the BC rods, they do come with the 625++ bolts dont they as these are stronger than the Carr one in the carrillos.

I was going to say J make sure you go with the shimless buckets if you want to rev it high, wise choice with the BC rods, they do come with the 625++ bolts dont they as these are stronger than the Carr one in the carrillos.

I'm not sure who told you they were stronger, but they weren't telling the whole story.

The BC625 rods have ARP fasteners in two options. ARP 2000 or ARP custom age 625+. The ARP 2000 bolts can handle 1448 Mpa, and the 625+ can handle 1930 Mpa. Whereas the Carillo's come with a choice of H11 or multiphase bolts. The H11 bolts have a UTS of 1516 Mpa and the multiphase bolts have a UTS of 1992 Mpa.

So yes the 625+ is stronger than the H11, but the multiphase bolts are stronger than the 625+.

If installed correctly, the Carillo bolts can handle well in excess of 10,000 revs.

I'm not sure who told you they were stronger, but they weren't telling the whole story.

The BC625 rods have ARP fasteners in two options. ARP 2000 or ARP custom age 625+. The ARP 2000 bolts can handle 1448 Mpa, and the 625+ can handle 1930 Mpa. Whereas the Carillo's come with a choice of H11 or multiphase bolts. The H11 bolts have a UTS of 1516 Mpa and the multiphase bolts have a UTS of 1992 Mpa.

So yes the 625+ is stronger than the H11, but the multiphase bolts are stronger than the 625+.

If installed correctly, the Carillo bolts can handle well in excess of 10,000 revs.

Thats what I'm being told about the BC rods, I think either of these are pretty much of a muchness the carillo's were the one to have and it takes a long while before people move on but I was advised purely down to a £££ to go with the BC as there is nothing in it, the guy who I was talking to is very well known in the tuning world and a world reknowned author on this subject, we may have some interesting pistons coming via him soon as well.

Also looking at that the ARP 625 and the Carr are virtually identical in capacity giving the edge to the Carr, BTW I believe carillo come as stock with the H11 and extra for the multiphase but the BC come stock with the 625+;)

Also looking at that the ARP 625 and the Carr are virtually identical in capacity giving the edge to the Carr, BTW I believe carillo come as stock with the H11 and extra for the multiphase but the BC come stock with the 625+;)

I can't really speak for whether they come as stock with the multiphase or not, but I know that mine arrived with the Carr bolts which are the multiphase opposed to the H11 which are the WMC bolts and I certainly didn't ask for them specially.

Smarties Carillo's came with the same.

It's academic really as when fitted correctly, they're all massively over-spec for what any of us would use them for. I have heard some horror stories of people not installing them correctly though where the UTS then becomes massively more important though.

• 2 weeks later...