The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC good investment?

Jas

no point differing, it is pure insanity to fit and map a whole ECU just to get traction control. Toyota spent millions developing an ECU that copes with every day situations, and you suggest changing it to one that will be mapped for at best a range of artificial circumstances to try and find the best match for the stock ECU operation.

The guy is running 1.2bar at BPU. The stock ECU copes just fine at that level and will never fail. The Solaris may be good, but is a complete waste of time for what this guy is running. Why introduce a component to the setup that has the ability to totally destroy the engine in seconds when it is not actually required. All he wants is decent traction control and RLTC will give him that for a fraction of the price.

I have been down the aftermarket ECU road and will absolutely never go that route again.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my (apparently unpopluar) opinion, get the car to the power level and learn to drive and control it in low grip conditions, for at least a year or so. If you feel that you want to make more of the power then RLTC is a good move, but it's by no means fool proof.

In terms of a trac control system it's very good. Just don't drop into the mindset that it will save you in all conditions, it can't overcome basic physics :D

I never felt the need for it, whether stock, BPU or single

I agree with this.

I've had it sat in my garage for years, I will fit it, but it will only be on the least intrusive setting. It's nigh on impossible to drive a single with any sort of spirit in the wet anyways, in the dry the R888s do a great job at holding traction.

I'd rather drive my car within it's limits, than drive outside them hoping some box of tricks will save me when it goes pear shaped

Guys would this one work on my supra??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/racelogic-traction-control-Launch-control-4-6cyl_W0QQitemZ150402874248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2304b5bb88

it has ABS sensors. does this mean its a different bit of hardware? :blink:

or are the abs sensors just an extra bit of kit i can ignore (ie. will it plug straight into my ABS box thingy behind my stereo).

can someone enlighten me please?

:sos:

Edited by Jas
sorry forgot the ebay link! (see edit history)

It wires in with the ABS Sensors, then you configure the amount of ABS teeth in the software, then the tyre sizes and it works from there (Simplified).

Sorry Johnny - forgot to paste in the ebay link! (now corrected) im looking at the particular one for sale on ebay.. any ideas wheather this is good to go?

Edited by Jas (see edit history)