The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decent brake upgrade .....

Jamesy

It can get there in 1 second or twenty one seconds, they still only have to retard a fixed weight in a time governed by tyre adhesion. Now, if they had to do this twenty times in rapid succession then the time intervals of those successions would be potentially less given more power. But that's not what the OP said.

yes

however my comment was reinforcing the following point make earlier in the thread

Depends on how fast you want to stop!!!!!;)

I would have thought that a 400++ hp car desrved some DECENT brakes:eyebrows:

hence trying to keep it on topic.

It can get there in 1 second or twenty one seconds, they still only have to retard a fixed weight in a time governed by tyre adhesion. Now, if they had to do this twenty times in rapid succession then the time intervals of those successions would be potentially less given more power. But that's not what the OP said.

I may be confused here but this is puzzling me, if you had 2 supras for instance, one stock the other 1000hp and both accelerated flat out and the brakes were applied at 60 and WOT then would both stop in the same distance, surely the 1000hp car is accelerating much quicker ie more G force so it would take more energy to stop it!!! or am i being stupid.:blink:

Both are doing 60 when you hit the brakes, you don't brake AND hold the throttle open (I hope....) :) As soon as the throttles are released ALL acceleration stops, and aero and tyre drag deceleration kicks in, even before the brakes are applied. If you find an object that keeps accelerating when on board propulsive power is removed then you are in outer space and a very large objects gravitational pull is at work, or you can retire having re written the physics books.

I may be confused here but this is puzzling me, if you had 2 supras for instance, one stock the other 1000hp and both accelerated flat out and the brakes were applied at 60 and WOT then would both stop in the same distance, surely the 1000hp car is accelerating much quicker ie more G force so it would take more energy to stop it!!! or am i being stupid.:blink:

Both are doing 60 when you hit the brakes, you don't brake AND hold the throttle open (I hope....) :) As soon as the throttles are released ALL acceleration stops, and aero and tyre drag deceleration kicks in, even before the brakes are applied. If you find an object that keeps accelerating when on board propulsive power is removed then you are in outer space and a very large objects gravitational pull is at work, or you can retire having re written the physics books.

I think that where the confusion is coming into the equation is due to being used to uprating cars with more power, better handling etc, we are used to also uprating the brakes.

This is necessary due to the extra power and better handling, the car can accelerate faster, go into, and around corners quicker, so in turn the brakes need to be more responsive to quick inputs and heaver brake application, also higher terminal speeds are reached in a shorter time period, also requiring better brakes.

Otherwise the sport version of production cars wouldn't need uprated brakes, after all they are usually the same weight, or lighter;)

A brand new uk brake set up for the front including discs, pads and calipers is about £600. Save up and do that.

The most sensible option by far... and probably available for much cheaper than £600 too, if you find someone who has just bought some "massive quadrillion pistoned 15" rotors" :D