The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi rx7 owner soon to be 2jz mazota

safcdixon

There's a full write up on LS1 conversions for the FD RX7 in this month's Practical Performance Car magazine.

Apparently the LS1 weighs around the same as the 13B rotary so it doesn't upset the handling :eyebrows:

I'm very tempted by one as a weekend toy at the moment.

They will upset the handling, most definitely.

The quote about the weight is from Craig Taylor. He's tinker-27 on here (and on Pistonheads and various other forums). His sole post was in RXV8's small-block Chevy project thread.

There is a guy local to me with an LS-1 RX-7 FD3S that he'll be using for the track. I can give him a shout and see if he can help you out if you like?

thanks for the offfer mate but ive made my mind up the 2jz is going in the rex i dont want a v8 i know the torque is amazing but im looking for something jap its a jap car after all, i think il be sticking to the twin turbos though the single conversion is a step to far at the mo[sAD][/sAD]

They will upset the handling, most definitely.

Not true. They handle very well indeed.

At TOTB this year and running 60+psi in his tyres due to a faulty gauge Craig's LS RX7 was over two seconds ahead of the nearest rotary powered RX7 on the handling circuit.

There is a lot of negativity on RX7 v8's generally but as far as I know NONE of it is from people who have experience of both.

He has done many of these conversions now and his own is currently recieving twin turbos.

A good guy and well worth talking to if you want to know about LS into anything.

Not true. They handle very well indeed.

At TOTB this year and running 60+psi in his tyres due to a faulty gauge Craig's LS RX7 was over two seconds ahead of the nearest rotary powered RX7 on the handling circuit.

There is a lot of negativity on RX7 v8's generally but as far as I know NONE of it is from people who have experience of both.

He has done many of these conversions now and his own is currently recieving twin turbos.

A good guy and well worth talking to if you want to know about LS into anything.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/pantelis/IMG_0576.jpg

Have you got any contact details please?

Guest tinker-27

hi lads not been on here for a while, i was going to do a 2jz for a mate off mine but never got round to it as a cheap ls1 came up, but it will make for a good car. as for v8 ruining the handling thats a myth that has been well disproved now, the white track car in scotland is either paul allans or robertios (i built pauls),make sure when you do the conversion you mount the diff well as it makes a big difference to the way they drive,good luck with it, it will be nice to see one in the uk. post up on MRC if you dare but be prepared for the abuse from the keyborad warriors. if you need any info you can drop me a line on 01217530415 cheers craig, ps as for a auto being better to swap it is as its easier to swap the pedal as the clutch need modifying than to swap a diff (which are hard to come by).

• 2 months later...

aint been on for a while cheers for the offer of help mate at the time i posted this i was doing well but a few days later i was layed off (and not payed by the dick i was working for) am back at work now but its been a set back to say the least i was also restoring a mercedes cosworth which i have nearly finished so i have my swap kit and other bits from yankey land payed for when i come to sell it (ASAP) this put me back a few months but the aim is still the summer!

I'm glad you're still going with the project mate, sounds fantastic. I thought about this before I got my supe and glad I didn't attempt it, best left to people with a bit more know how than me.

Peter P is doing something similar, I think he's going for a single turbo 2jz as the stock twins are bulkier and may not fit. I love the smoothness of BPU though, don't think I'd like a single tbh but it really depends what you're into and what you intend on using it for. Heres a link to one of his threads on the matter if you haven't already seen it... http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=178033

yeah seen the thread before but aint heard nowt from peterp on the subject for a while i think hes going for the 1jz instead of the 2jz i have put alot of thought into the build and realy cant go back sold my rotor engine and box got all the other engine ancillarys etc for sale at the mo so i cant go back plus it will be a total beast the twins should fit as per the measurements the aint to much difference between the single and the twins cant realy afford to spend another 5grand on a single turbo conversion although i do already have a t6 single turbo manifold ;)

• 4 months later...