The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wheels too big?

Guest suprastar380bhp

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daft really when people start getting opinionated, and calling bandwagon jumping, simply because they drive on 19"s and don't drive hard.

We all have our opinions, some based on factual experience, and some on here-say, some of us drive track days, and others drive hard on roads we know well, and others are simply content to be seen driving a Supra.

I for one changed from light weight Rays to a same sized heavier wheel (god know why:innocent:) but straight away i noticed a difference in breaking, and a slight difference in corner speed (but not much) i can still get around the same bends on the limit of traction at pretty much the same speeds as before, just have to change my breaking points slightly.

The guy asked if you could fit a 20" wheel to a Supra, and the answer is yes, all people have done is advise that the handling WILL be compromised, whether the stig drives it or not:p

It all depends if you want to actually drive the car, or just pose in it:rolleyes:

Daft really when people start getting opinionated, and calling bandwagon jumping, simply because they drive on 19"s and don't drive hard.

We all have our opinions, some based on factual experience, and some on here-say, some of us drive track days, and others drive hard on roads we know well, and others are simply content to be seen driving a Supra.

I for one changed from light weight Rays to a same sized heavier wheel (god know why:innocent:) but straight away i noticed a difference in breaking, and a slight difference in corner speed (but not much) i can still get around the same bends on the limit of traction at pretty much the same speeds as before, just have to change my breaking points slightly.

The guy asked if you could fit a 20" wheel to a Supra, and the answer is yes, all people have done is advise that the handling WILL be compromised, whether the stig drives it or not:p

Look at your first comment. Come on, thats hardly an informed and accurate description of 20's is it? Have you driven on 20's?

What do you think would handle best. Heavy crap 18's or lightweight forged 19's? I know which ones my money would be on. Its the same old crap on this forum all the time with threads like this. People base their opinions on other peoples opinion's rather than experience.

You say you have experience. Of what? Crap wheels vs decent wheels? What does that have to do with the size of them? Has anyone done a like for like comparison? Jay has done the closest comparison I can see on here with regards to corner weights.

If you want to be a purist practice what you preach. Get 16's on there, anything other than that is not what they are designed for and will be a compromise.

Does anyone argue there will be a compromise regardless of wheel size? Why does 20" become the no-no? I know why, because most folks want 18's. 18's max this and 18's max that. Bollocks.... 16's max if you want the best handling your going to get. Anything above is a compromise, the further you go the more you compromise.

My limit of compromise is 19's. I don't pussy foot around but I don't drive like a twat on public roads either. I do notice the difference between the 18's that I had and the 19's that I have but I can live with it and I am happy living with it for the form over the function. How about we just leave this thread for people who have 20's, who have the experience on driving on them and what they think of them. At least their opinion is truely informed to the op's question.

Guest SupraGTE

15 ,16,18 , 19 , 20 22 45 they all should do the same roll you between point A and B :) and up to the thing between steering wheel and seat to decide wich one :) IMO ,

and yes 20 fits good on a supra wit right offset , i only rolled the edge on the fender, i can also make 24 fit the supra but then my 2 freinds in the garage Mr cut and mr weld will be in my hands :)

goodnight all

"How about we just leave this thread for people who have 20's, who have the experience on driving on them and what they think of them. At least their opinion is truely informed to the op's question."

Yes i agree, i think we should do just that, rather than add anymore point scoring, to what has now become a pretty pointless thread.

From experience, I had 20"s on the supra when I bought it. I have 18"s on it now. Personally speaking I find its a lot better to drive now than it was with the 20"s.

Cornering for sure is a lot better, I'd find even when hitting a low spot or pothole the 20"s would tend to grab the car from you as opposed to now when I feel much more response with it.

Post based on my own experience as an n/a auto owner :(

Guest jaylward

i got my 96 with 20s kahns thay look good, thay dont like kerbs or bumpy roads,or the faster you go the more the speedo goes out,but its great fun , the supra can be wat you want it to be ,,, track car , gt car , posers car, movie car...................

We need a poll

Accidents in:

20's

19's

18's

17's

16's

Clearly most people think its down to rim and tyre selection and not driver ability :D

Oooo, perhaps the more skilled you are at driving the bigger the wheel you are allowed. WTF am I doing with 19's!!

I have one more drawback, when I was running 19's I hit a series of potholes, they affected both sides of the car (imagine 5 holes arranged 2 x 5), both front tyres were running a lower profile than the rears, both sides of the car passed over exactly the same holes, front to rear weight dist was as close to 50/50 as any Supra is, both front wheels suffered rim damage, both rears never

To add values to the above, fronts were 235/35 rears 295/30, wall height will be 82 & 88 respectively, 6mm was the difference between buckling a rim and not

forgive me but isn't a 35 a higher profile than 30's and not the other way around? Going by your theory then a 20" tyre with a 30% aspect ratio would fair better than an 18"one with a 40% aspect ratio over uneven surfaces!

forgive me but isn't a 35 a higher profile than 30's and not the other way around? Going by your theory then a 20" tyre with a 30% aspect ratio would fair better than an 18"one with a 40% aspect ratio over uneven surfaces!

Fronts - 35% of 235 = 82.25mm

Rears - 30% of 295 = 88.5mm

I'm guessing you are getting confused as to where the profile %age comes from? For clarification, it's the width and not the wheel size.

As Mitch says, not necessarily, 30% of 295 is bigger than 35% of 235, the height of the tyre is a % of the width

havetn a clue on wall size

255/30/20

305/25/20

Would I have them again....nope (apart from wide kit required it to not look too stupid)

Is my ride quality bumpy...yep

Does it effect the handling...nope,

because if your getting near those limits on public roads take it to the track. As you have to push a supra quite hard in the wet. Yes it is easy to get the backend out when your trying too.