NEW UK Spec Brake Kit

THOR Racing

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this is in the right place! Thanks John

To continue.

Took the front wheels off last night, checked the slots all round the disc with a needle file, apart from very light surface rust all the slots were clean. If my problem it heat related, then the only thing left causing cooling problems is the protector plate.

Guest Supragirl

OUR Supra Service Manual states, that the maximum hub run out should be no more than 0.05mm and that the disc run-out should not exceed 0.05mm when mounted on the hub.

So how come you ended up with 0.08mm??

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Mycroft on 10:14 pm on Mar. 10, 2002[br]

For clarity;

New brakes 0.05mm

Existing brakes OK limit 0.08mm

Existing brakes  (gotta go) 0.15mm

(Edited by Mycroft at 10:16 pm on Mar. 10, 2002)

What a load of Bollox!!!!

So are you telling us that the Toyota service department would work to looser specifications than the home mechanic ? i.e. the guy working from the Toyota supplied TRSM. I don't think so.

Dual standards in a TQM company like Toyota doesn't really wash.

Are you sure these specifcations are for a Supra and not a Soarer ?

If so i'd love to see a scan of the relevant page.

Cheers

Guest Supragirl

I take no offence to your posts.

Anybody can come on this BBS and spout a load of BS.

But what you are saying does differ to the Supra Service Manual, so lets just see your proof.

Well, what Mycroft is saying makes sense to me!  If the customer has work done, he expects it to be perfect (or as near as dammit), hence the low fitting tolerance.

Having a set tolerance for "These brake discs may give you problems now or in the future" and "these brakes discs are now dangerous" also seems like a good idea.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Mycroft on 10:34 pm on Mar. 10, 2002[br]I will ignore the outburst.

It is not three standards, there are however standards for recommendations to replace, the initial work is carried out to the highest possible standard as part of the BS9002, then when your car comes in for a service and you need new pads, the service should include a run-out check, the run-out check is on an existing piece of kit, you are probably very happy with that piece of kit apart from the pads being worn the piece of kit is just fine, but he will check it and to justify his recommendation the figures I have given you are what he uses to persuade you that although 'Sir' finds everything OK at the moment the brake discs are wearing unevenly and that perhaps at the next service you would like to consider replacing them, or if they are at that 'top' figure, 'Your discs warped Sir, we feel it is for your own safety that we replace them now' Have you never had this sort of thing done to you, with Toyota they are one of the few where the SM has to append his readings for appraisal by Head Office when the QA audit is done.

You must try harder to be civil.

What outburst ? I was just expressing my opinion.

BS9002 now there's an interesting standard.....................it's actually ISO9002 now superseeded by an ISO2000 or 2001 standard, however in this case maybe we should use a BS standard.

These standards do not guarantee quality, they imply that the organisations have the correct procedures in place to provide a quality service, whether they actually do or not is another matter.

Anyway i don't think there are many Toyota service departments that have ISO approval.

Particularly not if their SM's have to forge readings before appraisals\audits.

You will know when i am not being civil. I think you have added some good info to this BBS, but i'm afraid on this point i do not agree with you and as yet you have not provided any documentation or references to prove your point. If you can then i am sure we will all benefit from the additional knowledge.

As it reads now you are saying that there is a documented fudge factor for Toyota tech's which i find hard to believe.

Guest Martin F

Obtuse ........... LMAO, no i am just trying to be accurate.

Forgery, falsifying figures was implied in your previous post.

I quote 'with Toyota they are one of the few where the SM has to append his readings for appraisal by Head Office when the QA audit is done.'  

If the job was done to spec the first time around then there would be no need for the SM to append his figures.

Nobody is asking for you to visit us with your dial gauge (some of us are capable of measuring our own runouts), all we(I) are asking for is something even simpler.

All we(I) would like to see is the documented info from this mythical Supra service guide that allegedly sates 'if disc/hub combined run-out exceeds 0.08mm (0.003in) the customer should be advised that replacement is recommended, if run-out exceeds 0.15mm (0.006in) the units must be replaced.'

However your inability to provide this documentation can only lead me to suspect that it does not exist.

Guest Martin F
Quote: from Mycroft on 1:16 pm on Mar. 11, 2002[br]

I have the Supra WSM manual for 1993 it is in Kanji but the numbers are Metric and inches, if you have a different figure, please tell me what it is. it is quite catagoric, 0.05mm (max)

Quote: from Mycroft on 9:01 pm on Mar. 10, 2002[br]No, I think Matts problem may be heat related, but yours Phil is definately run-out, the Supra Service Guide states, that 'if disc/hub combined run-out exceeds 0.08mm (0.003in) the customer should be advised that replacement is recommended, if run-out exceeds 0.15mm (0.006in) the units must be replaced.

What exactly are you saying here Mycroft ?