The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NEW UK Spec Brake Kit

THOR Racing

EDITED BY ADMIN - THIS IS A COPY OF A POST FROM THE FOR SALE SECTION WHICH HAS BEEN COPIED HERE TO CONTINUE THE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION - EDITED BY ADMIN

Anyone interested in purchasing brand new UK Spec Front Brake Kits (Calipers, discs and pads)

Anyone got a price for volume purchase (5->10 off) quantities?

I'm fed up with my Jap spec brakes and the 2nd hand UK spec brake market has dried up so I think new is the only option.

Last I heard the whole kit was about £700.

Anyone got a better price etc etc

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak to Jaymarks in the States - IanC did about his Fueling kit and it was significantly cheaper

UK spec pump from UK £231

UK Spec pump from US $189 so that's about £150ish

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 6:04 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

Don't know how much the full kit would cost but discs and pads all round cost me £391 inc vat. Ring Dave Cook at RRG Toyota Salford Quays, Manchester for a full price.....he will give you 10 - 20% discount on anything...........mention the club........only the cost of a call

probaly something to do with not selling as many. here's my list:-

left rear disc           91.58

right rear disc         91.58

left front disc          70.37

right front disc        73.26

left rear caliper     247.16

right rear caliper   195.19

left front caliper    195.19

right front caliper  195.19

pads front              60.42

pads rear               55.62

clip kit                    40.00ish

all +vat & -discount

i did double check this as i thought it was strange.

im taking the plunge as soon as i know if my proposed new wheels will fit over them, so if anything gets organised any cheaper let my know please.

ta

my previous post was aimed at phil walls statement but ray managed to post b4 me.

ray, that is a good price, the best i can get on discs and pads all round is £420 inc vat, i think ill give them a call for a full set price, the difference could pay for a set of ss hoses..

this import group buy is not looking too good for me. i can get a full front set (disc,cal,pad+clip) for about £600 not including ss hoses or fast road pads just stock pads. these r available within 1 week (probably less) delivered to my doorstep from toyota. depending on where they r shipped to i could have real problems collecting, im up north nr leeds. i also need new rear discs & pads which ill b stuck with buying here with less discount.

ill keep an eye on this tho

i posted the price list earlier in this post. the prices were got using a uk spec number so they should b correct. ill double check this tomorrow and let u know. its a big difference about £600 - £1031.

he said about 10-20% discount, depends on what ordered and payment method, also upfront payment.

mycroft whats yr email, email me it.

£25 for front pads is good let me know about that..

ta

So we are saying that for the complete set front and rear (the lot) plus VAT and plus a 10% discount we are talking about a little over £1500 ?

I'm up for a set.

Sounds like we might be able to get 5 people at a push? (3 definitely) so can we get 10% (or even more) discount?

I like the direct from Toyota GB route (no disrespect) but customs have smaked me with a few large bills before and it's just not worth the hassle in my opinion. Especially when I can just drive down the road and complain about goods sent from Toyota GB to my local dealer.

I'm going to ask for a price for a complete set of gear (but I doubt I'm going to be able to beat anybodies prices) and assume 3 off pricing.

I know Branners is up for a new set all round but his lack of job may dissuade him.

Cheers

Pete

Im interested in Mycrofts bit about not needing the rear brakes as that would save me a bundle of cash and I might be able the 'sneak' out £600 for the brakes without it being noticed.

My only concern is that too much braking is thrown on to the front of the car, with the race pads I get problems as it is with the rear coming round under hard braking. Has anybody considered whether the 2pot fronts can be fitted to the rear? Is it advisable or even possible?

JB

ive been told by my mechanic not to just do the fronts, he reckons keep the bias exact. he's a mechanic (service technician as he likes to b called) at a toyota dealership & sees sups on a regular basis. hes an old school friend who has nothing to gain from me buying the rear set as well (hes fitting them for next to nothing). i suppose the stock jspecs rears r fine but just not perfect, the last thing i want when braking hard (which is what i want to do :) ) is have the rear fighting to b at the front. in short im buying these brakes because i want very good brakes not the pile of crap i have now. i used to try and convince myself the jpsec brakes r ok, but they r not. i now just look at it as a performance mod (later braking and not shitting yrself thinking r they going to work this time cos i braked hard a minute ago).

anyway like i said earlier ill double check these prices and let u know.

I've posted the details to the UK Supras list as well in the hope we get a few more definites.

I'm of the same opinion as "eyefi". I've tried to put up with the Jap brakes but 2002 is the year to upgrade for me.

I have asked a question in the general section which is related and that's if you should upgrade the master brake cylinder or not. Does it give any benefit. I'm sure the Jap one will be O.K. but does it have any merit at all as a mod?

Pete

On the subject of whether to upgrade the rears, I am with Mycroft on this one. I have braked very heavily down from way over 150 with no problems (apart from being almost hung from the seatbelts!), and have run at track days where I would be doing well over 100 down to 30-40 (mainly because of the daft track layout at Bentwaters) over 100 times in one day with no problems.

The bias on a road car must be affected by how much your brakes are worn and what compound you are running, so I guess my UK front/Jap rear setup with decent pads all round must be about the same as a full UK setup with slightly degraded pads at the back. If you are in doubt, then stick a set of better pads in at the rear, but I wouldnt go spending another £800.

Just my 2 penneth, or should that be just my 800 quiddeth? :)