The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some opinion regarding TT Auto

jonathanc

Meh, so tempted to get a TT Auto now... I don't need extreme sharp driving experience just want a nice cruiser with some poke in it.

You are right about the NA having some flatspot. Sometimes I have to force a kickdown just to get more torque. Normal driving its ok though but maybe because I came from a MR2 turbo I'm being so fussy :p Would've thought the 3.0l VVTi will have more poke.

Anyone fancy a mint 98 Sup? :D

I would drop a tt lump and autobox into your car, or if you can find one a tiptronic box. You would have a stunning car then mate.

It all depends how much you paid for your NA , was it cheap?

I too came from an Mr2 Turbo to an Na Auto supra, dont get me wrong the NA is a fast car and with a manual gearbox is a good all round package but with the autobox it just doesnt work.

The flatspot between 1st and 2nd seemed to last forever, too fast for 1st but far too slow for 2nd:(

Agreed mate. I am convinced the engine should feel much more powerful but I guess the Auto box sapped too much power from it. The box itself is smooth but I guess you have to accept the power loss from flywheel to rear wheel in this case.

That said, I think the NA was designed exactly for this driving style - lazy, comfortable and relaxing.

I'm itching to feel how an TT Auto drives like though. Tempted to get an Aristo since they are going cheap.

I would drop a tt lump and autobox into your car, or if you can find one a tiptronic box. You would have a stunning car then mate.

It all depends how much you paid for your NA , was it cheap?

Well it wasn't very cheap but to be fair the car is well looked after and is very mint. The paintwork is unbelievable for its age.

Not sure about dropping a lump in though I prefer an original TT tbh. Besides, it will work out to be more expensive anyway. If I'm dropping a TT lump in I will be tempted to upgrade this and that etc etc ;)

The car is perfect its just the acceleration which is a wee letdown. So few TTs around for sale now. There's some from traders I saw on PH but its really expensive and the p/x price is really low too :(

Well it wasn't very cheap but to be fair the car is well looked after and is very mint. The paintwork is unbelievable for its age.

Not sure about dropping a lump in though I prefer an original TT tbh. Besides, it will work out to be more expensive anyway. If I'm dropping a TT lump in I will be tempted to upgrade this and that etc etc ;)

The car is perfect its just the acceleration which is a wee letdown. So few TTs around for sale now. There's some from traders I saw on PH but its really expensive and the p/x price is really low too :(

I would stay out of a TT for a while and just enjoy owning a supra. Use the next 6mths to learn as much as you can from the forum and use this info to decide where to go next. There are loads of options, TT lump with 6sp conversion, TT with Auto conv or even a small single setup which would be a jump even higher than TT.

I would stay out of a TT for a while and just enjoy owning a supra. Use the next 6mths to learn as much as you can from the forum and use this info to decide where to go next. There are loads of options, TT lump with 6sp conversion, TT with Auto conv or even a small single setup which would be a jump even higher than TT.

Aye, sound advice mate. Will definitely get some info over the winter and hopefully/maybe a TT during the next summer! I'm most prob going for the Auto though since I'm a little bit addicted to the relaxing drive without having to worry about clutch esp in traffic jams ;)

Reason why I am not really considering a transplant though is that there are few (maybe none?) that does this in Scotland. I don't know if I fancy driving over 800 miles both ways ...

So few TTs around for sale now. There's some from traders I saw on PH but its really expensive and the p/x price is really low too :(

there are 2 great looking TT facelift auto's for £6,500 (pre haggle) on autotrader so if you can find the (lets be pessimistic) £3,000 then you can be in what you want to be in?

Why not pop yours up for sale the interest or lack of it may force your hand/reduce your options?

PS its a lovely car.........perhaps you need to take it out on some nice A roads where you can keep a constant fairly high pace and load it up through some nice sweeping bends? It might not accelerate out of them with the TT's gusto but it will be as good/better 'in corner' ........don't go silly but it'll really will corner hard if you haven't already tried? :)

there are 2 great looking TT facelift auto's for £6,500 (pre haggle) on autotrader so if you can find the (lets be pessimistic) £3,000 then you can be in what you want to be in?

Why not pop yours up for sale the interest or lack of it may force your hand/reduce your options?

PS its a lovely car.........perhaps you need to take it out on some nice A roads where you can keep a constant fairly high pace and load it up through some nice sweeping bends? It might not accelerate out of them with the TT's gusto but it will be as good/better 'in corner' ........don't go silly but it'll really will corner hard if you haven't already tried? :)

:blink: In was literrally trawling AT and PH but can't find anything decent, only dodgy ones. Will give AT another go then.

I took her to some A roads near Dundee and tried out both the Manual and Auto mode. Manual mode is considerably better round the bends but there's a noticable flat spot. Not something major though. Maybe its because I came from a MR2 turbo so I'm expecting too much. NA Auto is sweet ride no mistakes, guess I just have to accept it for what it is! :D

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

This hasn't got anything to do with your thread, and I'm not complaining at all, but do you think the girl in your avatar will ever get to her destination?! Maybe she should've hitched a lift or something? ;)

As for the TT Auto, I have always had manual cars, and as for the 'boring' stick it in 'drive' and push the go pedal is just not the case. I drive mine just like I did when I had the manuals. Up and down the gears using engine braking and keeping it it gear to build up some power, rather than letting the auto box do it for me, and I've never missed a manual ever since. :)

Def a tiptronic and the price seems ok for a high mileage example.

I have seen these go for 8k with low mileage.

Hmmm tempting lol. Looks pretty mint. Only thing I don't quite like are the wheels.

Wonder how high is the mileage though.... what is an acceptable highest mileage for an example of this price?

Edit: Meh the car is not on the dealers site anymore guess it was snapped up lol

Edited by jonathanc (see edit history)

imo the supra is only 3+OD because if it was 4. or 5 it would be changing gear all the sodding time. Some of the new merc or bmw or audi autos are 7 speeds. It just makes me think its wont be able to decide whats the best gear to be in and it will kick down all the time.

The auto is great. I love mine.

try lexus is-f 8 SPEEDS ha