The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HSD coilovers v's TEIN's

Guest EncoreWRC

My Bilsteins should work well with Eibachs, buty they are too low at the front. I can machine them with a higher seat groove to raise the front 10 or 15 mm, if you like. They are 165 each plus VAT with my custom valving and an extra groove. Teins are total junk, internally.

So are HSD's as bad as the Tein SS internally? I am looking to replace my stock suspension, my car is exclusively for road use. I am interested in the HSD's as they have been getting really good feedback from members, and Paul at Whiffbitz has them for a really good price.

I really like the stock ride height, so what should I go for? HSD's or Bilstein's with stock springs? BTW my car is an NA-TT, and I have the NA black suspension n at the moment.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internally they are not as sophisticated as the Bilstein Sports, but they do give ride height adjustability out of the box, and have a rather sporty look with their glossy finish. How HSD's will last long term I don't know, but I can say I have Bilstein Sports on cars that have used them for well over 150,000 miles and they neither knock nor leak, and still damp effectively. Personally I think 75% of MKIV's are riding too low to handle even remotely correctly, but the "look" is all important over function to many owners nowadays. I can build Bilsteins to give adjustable height, but the cheap way of doing it involves removing them from the car to adjust them. The expensive way would mean I sell very few sets, only hard core track users like Wes buy them :)

Thanks for the feedback Chris, I respect your opinions so its apprecated. If I didn't have to spend money on other things on my car that needs replacing then I would have gone for a set of Bilsteins off yourself.

I don't like my car too low, I like the NA stock ride hight, its just right for me. What ever suspension I went for would be adjusted to be the same height as my stock NA setup. I may just go for a set of HSD's for now, until i can afford to buy a set of your revalved Bilstein's. I only drive my car for 3k-5k a year, so if I can get 3-4 years out of the HSD's then i wouldn't be too disappointed with them.

If you looking for a coilover setup then the HSD is the better option. The cheeper then tein and as I sure cris Wilson will point out the internal valve systems for the dampers are the same.

So might as well save a bit of cash and go for HSD.

I really should read the hole thread first as mr Wilson has already put his thoughts across

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

No, sorry, can't get bits for them. Tein have a UK service centre, apparently, but my feedback suggests what they can do is very limited. How much they charge I have no idea, but average re seal costs for the dampers I CAN get stuff for varies from £70 to £120 each.

http://www.tein.co.uk/

I would be interested to know what they say, and if they can't rebuild yours just what models they CAN rebuild. I can re gas with nitrogen dampers that use a Schraedar valve and a membrane valve, and can do a limited range of dampers that use a muff for re gassing. A lot of Teins are not even gas filled.

My Bilsteins should work well with Eibachs, buty they are too low at the front. I can machine them with a higher seat groove to raise the front 10 or 15 mm, if you like. They are 165 each plus VAT with my custom valving and an extra groove. Teins are total junk, internally.

Can you PM me a price (or post it up here, your choice) for one of your suspension setups please? Cheers.

£1280 plus VAT fitted and the geo all set up to suit. Reluctant supply only at £960 plus VAT. Your intended usage of the car can be taken into account when the springs and dampers are chosen. Boulevard ride, fast road, or semi race / track day.

Which of those does the setting for my dampers come under Chris - 'fast road'? Has the work for ride height etc. already been done or will you be doing that during the time you have the car? I have an active spoiler lip to go on the front, thats all; it'll be in the fixed down position.

Yours are fadt road / mild track day settings. Snything stiffer for more serious track usage will be very harsh on the road and a skittish in the wet. You can give me an idea what height you want it at, but if you say "LOW" it'll eat tyres and drive like dog :) I will just do as I am told though :)

No idea about the Toyota prices. The Bilsteins I sell are built in Germany, not under licence in Japan by Toyota, and have better valving inside. They are currently about £115 plus VAT each, but the price is volatile and alters quite a lot, usually upwards :( I have never bought any new stock springs, probably about 100 each at a guess, but who knows with Toyota :) .

No idea about the Toyota prices. The Bilsteins I sell are built in Germany, not under licence in Japan by Toyota, and have better valving inside. They are currently about £115 plus VAT each, but the price is volatile and alters quite a lot, usually upwards :( I have never bought any new stock springs, probably about 100 each at a guess, but who knows with Toyota :) .

Oh ok that is a better price than Toyota :) So if I bought a set of these standard Bilstein's from yourself and put them on my Supra with a set of standard NA spring's, will my car sit at the same height as my current set up.

BTW my car is an NA-TT, hence why I am in need of upgrading my suspension, however i like the ride height and would like to keep it that way.

P.S. do you refurb used Bilstein's, if so how much do you charge? I apologise for all these question's :)

Edited by SamuraiFlash (see edit history)